Curse the Day

Angeline

I had been leaving my information at every interview I had today, Lorelai's phone number as my emergency contact, and as my guardian. Basically, everyone knew her, they always asked how she was doing, and how did we like living with her. Everyone has something nice to say about her, and if we ever need anything not hesitate to ask. Some were honest about the job positions, a small town with not much to offer. That included job openings. 

The petshop offered me to help them clean after work, the owner of the shop said to come in from 5 pm to 8 pm. That gives me time to get another job in the afternoon with the book store, sorting the books. Both owners of the shop were very nice to accommodate my school schedule and were extremely happy that Lorelai was able to adopt.

I wonder how long has Lorelai been wanting to be a mother? does that mean everyone's secrets are in the open?

"Oh she's such a wonderful girl, we've known her since she was in diapers, you'll love her. " Both Mr. and Mrs. Luther were walking back and forth with books.

"Yes! you couldn't have picked a better mom!" husband and wife were thrilled that I was part of her life, made me feel so shy.

Could I keep up with her standards?

Could the whole town love me too just as they love her?

"Sweetie, you'll be a great daughter to Lorelai," Mr. Luther was looking at something on the computer, glasses up to his nose and eyes wide as they can go.

"Well.. we.. I..." I didn't know how to tell them that she was just fostering me for now, they were so happy for her.

"If she's ever too strict, come to us we'll put her straight," Mrs. Luther joked as she placed some books on the front counter. 

"Ha! that would be a first.." Mr. Luther laughed at his own joke, "you can't make the girl any straight than Billy,"

"Oh yes, Billy. He's married now."

"Really?"

"Yes married to Chuck,"

"Oh that's right, we went to their wedding."

I smiled at the two. 

"Charles let the young lady know what time to start work."

"Oh, what time does your class end?"

"It says at twelve, I can be here by one?"

"Yes, yeah that works. Right darling?"

"Yes, Charles."

"Then come in tomorrow at one, you can have the job."

I couldn't help but want to hug both of them, both smiled at me.

"Sounds good, I'll be here!"

"Tell Lorelai not to give you so much chocolate at night, I know how much she loves chocolate."

"Ok, I will."

After that, I had gone to the pet shop and they offered me the job, they were new to the town. She didn't know many people from the town, so she was very hesitant about coming in late, but once the owner came in she knew right away who Lorelai was and I had the job.

I went back to Lorelai's radio shop but she wasn't there, I went to grab a pretzel and waited for her outside.

Then I saw her walking back, she looked sad by the way she walked. She wasn't walking her usual self, she looked defeated.

"Hey, I'm back."

"Oh.. oh hey I'm sorry did I keep you waiting?"

"Not for long." I lifted my half-eaten pretzel.

"Let me get some paperwork from my office and we can head out, you can go to the car in the back parking lot. Be careful."

"Ok." I took one last look at her, she didn't have her sparkly blue eyes. I took the keys and walked to the car, I really wondered what had happened.

I was listening to the radio when the trunk open, Loralai was placing all her boxes in the back.

"What are those?"

"Papers, and radio parts."

"What for?"

"Radios."

What happened to the happy woman who's always saying lame jokes?

I didn't know if to ask about feelings, what if she blurted out something and I didn't know how to reply.

We drove in silence to Jacky's school.

"Hey, Jack's how was school?" I asked her since Lorelai seemed to be in her own little world.

"Ok..."

"Awesome..."

We did the regular routine, everyone got home and did their own things.

This time, Lorelai went to the back without a word. I saw Jacky run to her room like always and I followed Lorelai.

She went straight to the small house I had asked to rent.

I stayed out of hearing range, and sight. I wanted to be there for her, but how?

Curse the day I started having feelings.

But Loralai felt different, her way of being was nothing like any other foster parent I had. And I've had plenty.

*********

I apologize for the long wait, some days are harder than others to find the courage to write.