Plans

Lorelai

I had woken up with a cheerful expression today, Jacky had taken the step to come talk to me, without saying anything to her

"Hey, Lorelai!" I turned to look at Angeline walking towards me, she looked happy, waving from afar.

"Lorelai!"

I turned to look at Angeline 

We drove home, Angie telling me everything about her day and how she was excited to come tomorrow. At every chance I could get I would look at her, smiling at her, proud of her, seeing her happy was my goal. She gestures with her hands up and down and side to side every little gesture was intriguing to me, we only had a couple of weeks, not even two months together and here we were, in my little car, and she was talking and looking happy and excited.

I hope she stays positive and starts to trust me more, and confide in me, these conversations is what I live for, I hope they don't end when she has trouble at school, or boys, or girls, or questions about her birth family. I want to be an adult to her but also her friend. 

A parent she can confide in.

******

It was the end of September and October was around the corner. I need to ask the girls if they'll like to go shopping for decorations. When we arrived home Angie still couldn't run up the stairs, but she tried since she was excited to go tell Jacky, we all knew she would just end up looking at us and walk back to her room, but Angie always liked to tell her about her day, I think she hopes one day Jacky will tell her to shup up or kick her out of her room. I think she'll end up telling her to shut up, Angeline can get pretty stirred about anything and she is nonstop chatterbox. Complete opposite of Jacky.

I sat at the counter of my kitchen, just playing with a music box I have to restore then I remember my parents own a house in a small, secluded beach area. I think for the holiday the girls and I should go spend some alone time, we all need to get to know each other more and what's best than a vacation at the beach? 

"Hey girls," they both looked at me still eating their fried chicken. "I know school is almost over, and winter vacation is coming, I was thinking of taking a trip to my families cabin, near a lake, and we can get away."

Angeline looked excited, "I've never been anywhere to be honest, all my foster parents kept me inside." Her small round eyes fell back to her plate.

"I want to go." 

We all turned to look at Jacky, smiling I looked at both of them, "ok its settle, we leave at soon as school is over." 

Both girls smiled at me and went back to eating, Angeline started asking questions. 

What did the place looked like, what fun activities could they do, and I told them we could go Ice Skating, hiking, camping. 

All this was new to both of them and they both looked excited, Angeline was the chatty one, but I would see Jacky smiling and nodding at Angeline. 

*******

I had dropped off the girls at school and at work, and I was walking to my store. I needed to let them know I would be out of town for the holidays. 

"Good morning Jasmine,"

"Hi Lor, good morning."

I set my things on my desk, "Jasmine?"

"Yes," she came back from the other room.

"I will be absent for a couple of days, can you take care of the store? None of you should be here for the holidays, Halloween, Christmas, and New Years."

"Oh, you're leaving for a couple of months?"

"Yes, I'm taking the girls to my parent's cabin, I plan to get to know them, and basically show them other places. We'll be taking a road trip." 

"Wow, that sounds lovely! I will definitely take care of the store. I promise I will only call for a real-life store emergency."

I smiled at her, "I believe you. Thank you." 

"Lorelai," 

"Dr. Davison, good morning," I turned to thank Jasmine and she left to the back room.

"Dr. Davidson? really Lorelai?"

"Sorry, Carmella, what can I do for you?"

"Well just here to say hi,"

"Well, hi?"

"How are the girls?"

"Good, good." 

"Still waiting when we can have a proper date."

"Oh, about that." 

"Hmm."

"I think life has a funny way of bringing people together." I smiled trying to figure out how to say this. "But, um. I just got the girls, I am finally happy, my heart is happy. I'm just waiting for the final adoption papers and the girls are finally part of my family." 

"You do seem happy," she smiled at me. 

"I want to focus on them Carmella, you were my love back when we were young, but these girls are my world now. They are my future."

"I understand. I'm happy for you, maybe some time in the future when we meet again in different circumstances maybe we can see about us."

I smiled at her sadly, "I don't want you to wait around for me Carmella, don't stop looking for love either."

"I promise I wont."

I went over the front desk and into her arms, "you're still my best girl," she kissed my cheek and walked out the store. 

It hurt me to watch my true love walk away, but I had important things in my life now. The girls needed my attention, I want to get to know them, and I want them to get to know me.