Part 5: An Avocado's Death

(Shuichi's POV)

I woke up to the morning announcement and head to the dining hall with Kaede. When we got there, we saw a fight unfolding.

"Just sacrifice me, the time limits almost up." says Ryoma.

"No, that would be a terrible idea, it's unnecessary. Besides,I have a plan." says Rantaro. "I'm going to end this killing game."

"I don't know if that's possible. You can try, but if that doesn't work out you can sacrifice me. I don't have much reason to live, unlike most of you guys. Even if I do escape, it's strait to the big house for me again. You all have family, and friends. You have people waiting for you. But I don't. That's why you should sacrifice me."

"What kind of cowardly move is that? You're just gonna give up?" Kaito pipes up. Suddenly everyone starts talking at once. I give Kaede a look and we leave.

"It was getting noisy in there, I couldn't hear my own thoughts." I say.

"Yeah, actually I was thinking we should go to the library and turn the sensors of for a few minutes to clean up the place." she suggests.

"Why would we need to do that?" I ask.

"You saw all those piles off books, I tripped on one yesterday. If the mastermind falls then they won't be in the shot. Besides, it will only take a few minutes. Better safe then sorry." she reasons.

"Okay, I suppose that does make sense." We head over to the library momentarily turning off the sensors and tidy up the place. After about half an hour there are no more piles of books on the floor.

"Huh, well this took longer than I thought it would, but we did it!" she smiles. "We should head to the place and wait. We still have some time but maybe we should wait in there."

"Alright." we head over to the classroom we picked and we wait inside. "Nobody should be able to enter the library through the vent in this classroom, so that eliminates one area of entry to the library."

"Yeah, I'm really nervous though, what if our plan doesn't work?" she worries.

"I'm sure it'll be fine," I say unconvinced myself. "Let's just wait for now."

After waiting a while, the monitor in the corner of the classroom comes to life and starts playing a creepy song.

"The time limits almost up!" Kaede says worriedly. We hear voices in the hall and peek through the classroom door. Going down the stairs we see Kaito, Gonta, Tenko, Maki, Himiko, Angie and Rantaro. "Huh? What's that all about?"

"I'm not sure, but it looks like they're heading to the basement. Do you think the mastermind is with them?" I say. "Oh, and what if they're going to the library? That would not be good. It'd ruin the plan."

"What?" Kaede yells, clearly alarmed.

"I'll go check on them." I say.

"Okay, I'll come with you." Kaede volunteers.

"No, you stay here and keep watch." With that I go to the basement and check on them. I check on the group and see that they are in the game room. I breath a sigh of relief and get back to the classroom to find Kaede... sweeping?

"Um, Kaede? Why are you sweeping?" I ask confused.

"H-huh? Oh, no reason." she laughs with a hint of nervousness. "And what about the people in the basement?" she asks.

"Oh, no need to worry, they're just going to the Game Room." I reply. Suddenly the screen lights up. Monokuma laughs with the message, "One hour until everyone dies!" displayed across the screen. "... There's only one hour until the time limit."

"Yeah, it's almost time." says Kaede.

"I'm sure the mastermind will make their move soon." I say.

"If Monokuma is going to show up when the time limit runs out, the mastermind will go to the library-" Kaede is interrupted by the sound of the receiver going off.

"Ah!" I exclaim in surprise.

"Sh-shuichi, The receiver!" she yells.

"Someone moved the bookcase! Hurry Kaede!" I sprinted out of the classroom.

"W-wait for me!" I hear Kaede yell from behind me. On the way I see Kokichi.

"Hey Shuichi, why the rush? The time limits not up yet." he asks.

Kaito sees us and says,"Hey, what are you guys doing here? Well never mind. Your timings perfect, you should join our strategy meeting."

"Kaede is definitely welcome to join." she emphasizes Kaede's name.

"Strategy meeting?" Kaede asks curiously.

"When the time limit hits, we're gonna fight Monokuma!" We gotta plan for that battle!" Kaito exclaims.

"What are you guys doing here anyway?" Kokichi asks.

"H-hold on! All of you, come with us! The masterminds in the library!" Kaede yells.

"Huh...? Mastermind?" Tenko asks confused.

"We'll explain later, but for now, you need to come with us." I say. "We... might really be able to end this killing game." I say hopefully.

"A-Are you serious?!" Kaito asks.

"I-I don't really understand, but you just need me to Akido throw whoever's inside, right?" Tenko asks.

"No, I'll do it! I'll be the one to take them down!" Kaito yells.

"You guy's are all idiots, the mastermind could have gotten away because of your arguing." With that, Kokichi opened the door with a big shove and we all ran inside. Right as we run inside the hidden door closes on it's own without a trace of the mastermind.

"Where is... the mastermind...?" I ask confused. We all rush towards the moving bookcase. Not far from it we see... the corpse of Rantaro Amami... who hadn't even revealed his ultimate talent yet.

"Oh, Rantaro...?" Kaede says.

"What in the world!? What the hell is going on!?" Kaito exclaims.

"GYAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!" Tenko screamed. What is going on? Was Rantaro possibly the mastermind? Why is he dead? How was he killed?