Part 15: Choking

(Kokichi's POV)

After investigating, we head to the elevator and enter the trial grounds. Shuichi looks very nervous. Who wouldn't be when all your friends are relying on you to solve a murder? Kaito walks over to Shuichi's podium and puts his arm around him.

"You don't have to worry, just try your best to solve the case. I'll take responsibility for any mistakes you make. You're my sidekick after all." Kaito smiles. I feel a surge of anger spread through me. Kaito is getting a little too close to Shuichi. My stomach starts to feel queasy.

"He's not just some 'sidekick' you can just boss around and take credit for his work, y'know?" I say trying to hide my anger.

"Of course not, I'm just trying to help him," Kaito says.

I glare at him mentally willing the universe to burn holes into his head.

"Kokichi," Shuichi says trying to calm me down.

"What? You're okay with that idiot bossing you around?"

"Kokichi, he's just trying to help me," Shuichi says.

"Nishishi, sure." I laugh it off pretending like I wasn't angry at all.

We progress through the case and start to piece together what happened. Eventually, we start to run out of ideas.

"Nyeh, we still don't know who the killer is," Himiko says.

"Well, why don't we ask the only two people who don't have alibi's?" I suggest.

"The only two people... You're talking about Maki and Kaito, right?" Shuichi asks.

"Yup. So, what do you say in your defense? If it can only be one of you two, then the logical thing to do would be a debate between Kaito and Maki. One of you knows you're innocent which means one of you knows who the killer is. So, the two of you just need to fight to convince us which one of you is telling the truth."

"But wouldn't they just pass the blame back and forth?" Tsumugi asks.

"Aaaaand?"

"Huh?"

"You guys talk about cooperation and teamwork, but you're all afraid. You're too scared to point fingers at others, so you hide behind the word 'trust.' How do you expect to find the culprit when you're all afraid of hurting each other's feelings? If you're planning to expose a liar, then you have to corner them psychologically... Only then will they reveal their true self as a liar- hiding beneath a layer of deceit! If we want to find the liar, I suggest that the two suspects argue against each other. No more pointless deductions! All we need is for them to fight for their lives! So let's host an argument that's totally not-boring-but-super-fun! We'll catch the culprit in their lies when we find a contradiction! We'll scare the culprit until they screw up! That's how a true class trial works. Right Monokuma?"

"But of course!" Monokuma agrees.

"So I suggest you start the debate."

"It's not me," Kaito says. Maki remains silent.

"So are you saying it's Maki then?" I ask.

"Well-" Kaito starts to say something.

"Well you can't be the only one fighting, Maki needs to talk too," I say. Maki stays silent. I smirk before pulling a motive video out of thin air.

"Kokichi did you just pull that out of thin air?" Shuichi asks.

"Yeah, anime logic," Tsumugi says.

"See, Tsumugi gets it. Anyways, do you know what this is?"

"That's a motive video, correct?" Kirumi asks.