Part 21: Painful Plans

(Kokichi's POV)

   Shuichi and I walk to breakfast together as usual.  When we arrive, Monokuma appears with the next set of random objects. He presents one item in particular. "This here is the motive," He shows us the card key. A motive?

   "What should we do with it?" Kaito asks. 

   I grab the card and laugh. "I don't know, but it's mine now!" I run out, Kaito hot on my trial. I catch a glimpse of Shuichi who looks confused and surprised like everyone else. I run faster and eventually lose Kaito. 

   I sigh. Maybe it goes to the door in the library. I go to the library and try it but it doesn't work. Oh well. I grab a panta on the way out. Maybe it's somehow... I head to the Death Road of Despair. I remember when we were first here when everybody was alive. I can't possibly get through but I might as well try. I step forward and try to dodge where I remember a trap being. I'm surprised when the trap doesn't activate. I test a few others but none of them work either. What is this? If this really might be where the motive is that would explain why I'm having no trouble getting through. 

   I walk to the end where a large door is. This is... the end? I try the key card. It works and the door opens. "What the hell is this...?" I drop my panta which spills all over the floor leaving a purple puddle of soda on the ground. "This is..." I shut the door quickly. This is... the motive. I see now. I see now that I need to end this killing game at any cost. Any cost. The words almost hurt to think. 

   I later meet up with everybody to investigate the new flashback light. Everyone asks what I found but I lie and tell them I couldn't find anything. I glance at Shuichi who seems doubtful. I look away. It hurts too much to look at him. We all use the flashback light. It's all information that I already learned...

   Once we're done using the flashback light the group talks about what we remembered. I try to sneak away while their talking. Shuichi notices and follows me out the door. "Kokichi!" He grabs my arm. 

   "Hello, my beloved." I smile.

   "What happened with the key card? And are you okay?" Shuichi asks.

   "I already told you I couldn't find what it went to." I attempt to jerk my arm away.

   "Where are you going?" Shuichi tightens his grip.

   "It doesn't matter, it's not like I'm going to commit murder, or am I?" 

    Shuichi loosens his grip a little. "Kokichi, are you okay?"

   I manage to get free. "Shuichi, would you forgive me for anything?"

   "O-Of course, but you're not planning anything, are you?"

   "I... will see you later!" I run off before he can stop me. Don't look back. I can't help it. I turn to see Shuichi standing there worried. I  face forward again. No, I have to do this. I run to the game room.

   "Monokuma!" I call. 

   He appears seemingly from nowhere. "Hello there." 

   "I saw your fun little motive."

   "You gonna kill someone?" Monokuma asks excitedly.

   "Nah," I tell him.

   "Aww,  are you saying the motives just gonna go to waste?"

   "Well, I have a better plan," I tell Monokuma about my plan.

   "Puhuhu, that works for me. I bid you adieu." He laughs and disappears.

   I walk to Shuichi's room exhausted. I stand in front of the door contemplating whether or not to enter when Shuichi opens the door. "Kokichi! I was just about to look for you but I didn't know whether you wanted to be found-"

   I hug him and bury my face into his chest. "I'm so sorry." I quietly repeat the phrase as I cry in Shuichi's arms. He pulls me close and gently soothes my hair. 

   "Do you want to talk about it?" he asks quietly. 

   "I-I just want to sleep." 

   "Okay." Shuichi brings me to bed. I curl up against him and fall asleep almost instantly. I awake the next morning and silently walk to breakfast with Shuichi. I can tell he wants to know what's going on but is giving me space instead. 

   "I want to be useful so I'm gonna fight the exisals." Gonta tells us.

   "Are you an idiot? That wouldn't end the game at all." I tell him.

   "It wouldn't?" Gonta asks sadly.

   "Of course not. Besides, who would want to end something this fun!"

   "What did you just say?" Kaito asks surprised.

   "I said I don't want the killing game to end. It's way too fun to end."

   "This isn't some game, people are dying!" Kaito yells.

   "And? People are just expendable pawns. They're all just part of the game-"

 They're all just part of the game-"

   Kaito punched me in the face. My face seared with pain. It seems all too familiar. I go silent. Tears stream down my face. 

   "I didn't hit you that hard." I barely hear Kaito. It starts getting difficult to breathe. "Ha! Look at the weak runt!" The memory feels fresh in my brain. The room starts swirling. I close my eyes in an attempt to stop the dizziness.

   "Kokichi!" I feel a cooling sensation on my cheek. I open my eyes to see Shuichi holding my face. "You okay?" I nod silently before backing away.

   "See he's fine, just overreacting. He needed some sense knocked into him." Kaito says. We finish breakfast in awkward silence. I leave silently. Shuichi follows.

   We sit in his room. "How's your face?" he asks.

   "I'd say it's pretty cute, but that's for you to judge."

   He blushes. "You know that's not what I meant, although you're right."

   "Eh, could use an ice pack." 

   Shuichi holds my face in his hands. "My hands are pretty cold right now." I blush bright red. "Your face is really red though, are they too warm?" Holy shit, sometimes Shuichi doesn't realize how cute he is.

   "No, they're perfect." I do have to meet with Miu about those inventions, but my plan can wait. This moment right here is too perfect to end.