Part 17: Do You Really Love Me?

(Kokichi's POV)

   I head over to Shuichi's room. As I'm about to knock on his door Monokuma appears. "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

   "Why not?" I ask.

   "It's against the rules." He explains.

   "No, it isn't," I say.

   "Well, it is officially against the rules to touch Shuichi's door," Monokuma says.

   I check my monopad. Sure enough, the new rule is there. "How will Shuichi leave his room for food and other things? That's not a rule you can just add." I say angrily.

   "Puhuhu, on the contrary. Shuichi's the one who asked me to add the rule."

   "Wh-What are you saying?" In my anger, I lunge at the door. I freeze. Maki's hands are grabbing my wrists holding me in place. "Where did you come from?" I yell.

   "I've been here the whole time. Assassins know how to hide." She explains.

   "Let me go!" I yell.

   "No, you'll do something stupid and then you'll die for no reason."

   I smirk. "Aww, do you actually care about Lil' ol' me?" Her nails dig into my skin.

   "This is probably Monokuma's motive. You don't want to die because of some dumb motive do you?"

   "...No," I say. She let's go of my wrists. They're still sore from where her nails broke the skin.

   Monokuma tells everyone the new rule which baffles everyone. He then gives us the new motive, the Necronomicon, which is said to revive one of the dead students. I explore the new labs that opened up before returning to my room. I lay in my bed bored. My mind drifts to Shuichi. What could have happened to him? Was Monokuma telling the truth? If so, why would Shuichi want that rule? This is giving me anxiety. I walk to the library to get some Panta. As I chug the carbonated drink I start to feel a bit better.

   I walk to my room and attempt to sleep. I wake up in the morning and still sleepy, I walk over to Shuichi's room out of habit. As I'm about to knock I remember the new rule. I turn away and scowl before walking to breakfast. At breakfast, Angie announces that she's forming a student council. "Kokichi would you like to join?"

   "Fuck you and your cult," I say still pissed.

   "Hmm, you seem grumpy but Atua says you will join later," Angie says.

   I walk back to my room and lay in bed all day. I try not to think about Shuichi. Instead, I think about my dead friends, which isn't a fun topic either. Rantaro was mysterious, I feel like we could have been friends if he were still alive. Kaede was always so nice... Sure she was way too optimistic but she didn't deserve to die. Ryoma was always honest and down-to-earth, which I feel is sometimes a nice quality to have. Kirumi felt like a mom to me, like the mother I never had. She was always so nice and determined too... Even when she was dying she still tried her best to survive. In the end, her gloves had been her undoing. The gloves that kept her from touching that rope... kept her from touching...

   I jump out of bed and rushed over to Kirumi's research lab. "Mom, I hope you don't mind me borrowing these," I say as I pick up her gloves.

   I run over to Shuichi's room and open the door while wearing the gloves. I rush into the room and see a shocking sight. Shuichi is laying on top of the covers on his bed. His hair is all messed up and he has dark circles under his eyes. His eyes are dull and empty and he's not moving. For a second I think he's dead. "Shuichi!" He finally moves his head slightly to look at me. Tears stream down my face. I wrap my arms around him and sob into his chest. He doesn't hug me back. He just lays there. I pull away. "Sh-Shuichi?"

 "Sh-Shuichi?"

   He sits up. "Wh-What are you doing here?" He asks.

   "What do you mean? I came to see you." I tell him.

   "Why? Don't you hate me?" He asks.

   "What? Of course not! What gave you that idea?"

   His eyes narrow. "It might have been when you said, 'You're so dumb you couldn't tell how I felt. I was always trying to get away from you. I was just playing with your heart. You are weak, always have been, always will be.' or maybe, 'I hate you. I hate your dumb, wimpy personality. You're even dumber than Kaito. You're terrible at your job, I mean you're constantly making mistakes dragging everybody else down. Kaede died because of you're mistake, and you couldn't save Rantaro, Ryoma, or Kirumi. You're always so depressed and emo it makes me want to gag.'"

   "Wh-What?" I ask confused.

   Shuichi starts crying as well. "Oh, let's not forget, 'You could jump off the roof and die for all I care.'"

   "I never said any of that!"

   "Kokichi are you... are you playing with my heart again?" He asks.

   "No! Of course not! Shuichi, I love you!" I shake him hoping it would somehow make him believe me. "I would never say anything to hurt you." I hug him again.

   He sobs into my chest. "I-I know you're lying, but I can't help but love you!" He hugs me back. "E-Even if the comfort is only temporary, I want to stay here as long as I can."

   "Then don't leave me," I say.

   "If I don't leave you, then you'll leave me." He says.

   "Get out of that mindset, that person wasn't me Shuichi! I don't know who it was but it wasn't me."

   "But that look they gave me, it was so full of hatred."

   "They. Not me, Shuichi I love you. I will never leave you on purpose. I will never hurt you."

   Monokuma appears. "I'm sorry, was I ruining the moment? Anyway, I got bored of you guys going back and forth so I give up. It's not fun anymore. I might as well tell you, that person wasn't Kokichi."

   "Then wh-who was it?" Shuichi asks.

   "Puhuhu, I can't tell you, it would ruin the surprise, and there's no fun in that." With that, Monokuma disappears.

   "See Shuichi, I told you, I love you," I tell him.

   "Do you really love me?" He asks.

   I lean down and kiss him. He kisses me back. As our lips part, I hug him tightly. "Yes. And I promise I'll never let you go."

   "Then I won't either

   "Then I won't either." He smiles and we get into bed together. Cradled in each other's arms we fall asleep together.