Part 9: Despair...

(Kokichi's POV)

   I stare at Shuichi expectantly. Will Shuichi actually be able to suspect Kaede? He begins to speak.

   "First, the culprit and I set up the cameras in the library, little did I know that the culprit was actually setting up a trap to kill the mastermind. It was shortly after this that Kokichi came into the library. That's when he was caught by the cameras. I don't think the culprit finished their preparations because the next day after that they asked me to help them clean the library. I think that was so that they could finish their preparations. They arranged the books so that it could hide the shot put ball when it came rolling down. They arranged them just perfectly so that when the shot put ball came rolling down it would turn and hit Rantaro. The culprit was not aware who they would be killing but they hoped it would be the mastermind. When the receiver went off we rushed into the library. Quickly, the culprit slipped the shot put ball into the vent and followed. Is that... correct, Kaede Akamatsu?"

   Kaede smiled sadly. "You're a great detective, you know that Shuichi?"

   "Nishishi, too bad it's not Kaede. Looks like your detective work was all for nothing." I sigh.

   "Well, if it's not Kaede, then who is it?" Shuichi looks confused.

   "It's definitely Tsumugi!" I shout.

   Shuichi looks at me sadly. "Kokichi, we already made this clear, please don't make this any harder." So thats what we've decided? Kaede was the killer? Well, I already knew of her plan but there was one thing that I had found suspicious. Earlier, when we discovered the body and everybody was wallowing in despair there was one thing that was different. Everybody was distracted by Rantaro's death so I'm positive that nobody noticed but as I was observing everyone's reactions I saw it. It was only for a brief second, but I saw Tsumugi smile. There was something sinister about it and they way her eyes lit up. The expression definitely wasn't one that a normal person would make. Perhaps it could have just been that for some reason she really hated Rantaro and  was happy to see him die, but there was just something strange about it. Normally I wouldn't be dropping hints, but it wasn't like anybody would actually pick up on them, except maybe Shuichi. Then again, if I were working with Shuichi that wouldn't be so bad. Along with me, he's probably the smartest one of the group. None of them would make it through the class trial without Shuichi.

   "So that's the conclusion that everybody has reached, right? Kaede is the killer? If everyone agrees then I believe it's voting time, right Monokuma?" I say. Monokuma wakes up from his sleep.

   "Hm? Oh yeah thats right, took you long enough. So everybody is certain who the killer is right?" Everyone sadly nods. "Alrighty then, It's time to cast your votes, oh, and did I forget to mention? Refusing to vote results in death, so you better vote for someone." Everyone finishes voting. "Now then, who will be chosen as th blackened? Will you make the right choice, or the dreadfully wrong one?" The votes are displayed on Monokumas screen. Everyone voted for Kaede except for me. I voted for Tsumugi. Even if it was wrong everyone else would vote for Kaede.

   "Who voted for me?" Tsumugi asks confused.

   "Nishishi." I laugh quietly. 

   We watch as the verdict is finally presented as Kaede Akamatsu. The room is silent. 

   "Well, I suppose it's time for my punishment." Kaede says quietly.

   "Puhuhu, okay, if you insist. IT'S PUNISHMENT TIME!" Monokuma bops the red button with a mallet. Kaede is sweating bullets when all of a sudden a claw reaches down and clamps around Kaede's neck. Shuichi tries to grab her as a last attempt to save her but shes pulled upward instead. I can see the despair in Shuichi's eyes as Kaede is pulled away. I know how he feels, trying with all his might to save someone, but ultimately failing. Kaede drops down onto a giant piano and is suddenly pulled up by a rope. Kaede is dragged across the piano making the piano play a melody. The melody gets faster and faster until it stops and all that's left is Kaede's body hanging there lifelessly. The wall of thorns behind Kaede falls on her dead body crushing it. In the midst of the chaos Monodam shoves Monokid underneath the falling wall and is crushed. All of us just stare at once was Kaede Akamatsu speechless. 

   I can see Shuichi's eyes watering so I put my hand on his shoulder to comfort him. I'm surprised when he turns around and hugs me. He sobs in my arms. I'm not the best at comforting people so I just stand there not knowing what to do. Eventually he stops crying and everybody leaves. Me and Shuichi walk back together. 

   "Hey Shuichi!" I yell.

   "Yes?" Shuichi's eyes are still red from crying.

   "Hey, did you forget you promised me a water gun fight?" 

   "..."

   "It'll be just the thing to cheer you up, come on." I persuade him.

   "Okay." I pull the trigger and splash Shuichi in the face with water. Shuichi stops surprised. "How do you already have a water gun?"

   "Oh, I have water guns hidden all over the academy." I toss Shuichi another water gun.

   Shuichi giggles. "Of course, that totally sounds like something you would do." I smile. I made him giggle, that means he momentarily forgot about Kaede's death. I'm surprised when Shuichi shoots me in the arm.

 "Game on!" We spend the next hour chasing each other back and forth with our water guns. By the end both me and Shuichi are soaked from head to toe. "Nishishi, did you have fun?"

   "Yes, but I am out of breath. You are impossibly fast." Shuichi pants. "I suppose we should go to our rooms."

   "Yes but first I have to fulfill my promise too."

   "Promise?" Shuichi looks confused.

   "Did you forget, I promised that if you could prove my innocence that I would tell you why I was in those photos in the first place."

   "Oh yeah, please do explain."

   "Hm, how do I put this? I wanted to prove something. I wanted to see whether you cared about me or not. So I put myself in those photos to see whether or not you would care. I was happy to find that you were really desperate to prove my innocence." I smile.

   "That was it? You could have just asked me, and just so you know I do care about you, you may be... difficult sometimes but you also have a caring and funny side. Oh, and thanks for cheering me up." Shuichi smiles.

   "No problem."

   "I guess we should get going back to our rooms now." Shuichi turns toward the dormitory.

   "Yeah that would be good, oh, and Shuichi?" I ask.

   He starts to turn. "Need someth-?" He's interrupted by my lips on his. He clearly did not expect this. Shuichi stands there shocked and eventually I remove my lips from his.

   "Goodnight!" I smile and walk off leaving him there still shocked.