18. "I love you too."

(1501 words)

I could not believe my eyes. I pinched the skin on my arm to see if I was hallucinating or dreaming but nope, it was real. It didn't feel real. My heart was blossoming with happiness but I could also feel my tummy churn with nervousness. Happy tears approached my eyes but I held them back.

"Is this real?" I asked Ariana, finally being able to process words.

"Yes, Ana." She answered, her voice calm yet happy.

"Are those his parents?" I asked.

"Yup." She replied, popping the 'p'.

I don't know if you guys understand what's going on, so I'll enlighten you. Ethan Woods was sitting with my parents as well as his in my living room. They all seemed to be chatting happily.

Will you believe when I send my parents over to ask for your hand in marriage? His words came into my mind and my heart skipped. He wasn't kidding. He wasn't playing any game. He wasn't messing with me. He was serious, honest, really in love. He truly loved me. He did want to marry me. THE Ethan Woods wanted to marry ME. That sounded unbelievable, crazy, outrageous.

"What are they talking about?" I asked Ariana. I could see their lips moving, it made me extremely curious as to what they were saying.

"They're talking about your marriage. They're finalising it." She replied and my eyes went wide as saucers.

"Marriage? What? How's that possible?" I gushed, my heart beating in my chest. It still seemed pretty insane to me.

"Ana, your parents are apparently really good friends with Ethan's parents." Ariana enlightened me and I stopped breathing. That was definitely the most unbelievable and crazy thing. How could my parents be friends with Ethan's parents? And if it was really so, why didn't I ever know?

I watched as the adults engaged in hearty conversation, smiling and laughing, really looking as if they were good friends. My heart stopped beating in my chest—well not literally because I'd be dead but you guys probably get what I mean— as I saw Ethan's head snap in my direction. He sent me a smile with a smug look on his face as I stood there in bewilderment, trying to calm my racing heart. I averted my gaze from his handsome self and turned around so that I wasn't looking at them anymore.

"Ana, you see now? He really loves you." Ariana said to me, placing a hand on my shoulder. I nodded my head, unable to say anything. I was in a state of shock but it was soon replaced by immense happiness. I headed back to my room where I jumped up and down like a kid. "Aw, Ana's really happy." Ariana said and I blushed.

———

-LATER-

I headed downstairs with Ariana after the 'important guests' had left. I felt shy facing my parents. "Who came over?" I asked them timidly when I very well knew who did.

"Anastasia, we've decided that you marry Ethan Woods. Surely, you know who he is." Mom said and my heart sped up at hearing her words. I had never thought I would hear her say such words.

"E-Ethan? I-I—"

"You like him, we know." Dad said, cutting me off and surprising me. I looked at him with wide, questioning eyes.

"Ariana told us." Mom explained and I glared at my cousin who sent a sheepish smile my way.

"Good choice you have, Ana. Martha and Alex Woods are really good friends of ours. Ethan is also a very great guy." Dad commented and I couldn't help the smile that made its way to my lips. Ariana squealed excitedly next to me. My smile became broader and I turned to return to my room. Ariana followed close behind. She was all smiles. It seemed as if she was even more delighted than I was.