27. "How's Aaron?"

(1444 words)

I felt out of place at the fancy occasion. My standard absolutely did not match with the standard of these people in Ethan's life. I tried not to make my state of awe too obvious to people, especially after what Adeline said to me. I tried to pretend that I was okay with this fancy world, that I fit in. When actually, I felt like I didn't belong there. Maybe I really didn't...

"This is my fiancé, Anastasia." Ethan introduced me to our hostess, Martha's family friend.

I smiled politely at her as I awkwardly stuck my hand forward for her to shake. I felt embarrassed as she leaned to hug me instead and kissed me on both cheeks. Right... that's how these rich people greet each other.

"Anastasia, what a lovely girl you are. It's a pleasure to meet you." She said to me sweetly as if our greeting wasn't awkward at all.

I forced a smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you too." We exchanged a couple more sentences and then she went on to greet more guests.

"You okay, Anastasia?" Ethan asked me, perhaps noticing my discomfort that I was trying so hard to hide.

"I'm fine." I forced a smile but the look on his face said that he could see right through it. He opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted by the devil herself.

"Ethannn." She slurred his name in her annoying, fake sweet voice as she leaned in to hug him. I turned my face away and bit my tongue to hold back insults.

"Oh hi, Ana. It's so nice to see you. Glad you came." I gave her a fake sweet smile that matched her own.

"I'm glad you came too, Adeline. It's great to see you." I said, feeding her lies of my own. Behind our sweet smiley facades, we both were hiding our extreme dislike for each other.

"I'll leave you ladies to chat." Ethan said to me. No, don't leave me with this witch. He kissed my temple and patted my waist gently before walking towards his cousin and best friend, Zayn.

I was left alone with this fake as hell girl.

I looked at my feet and around, not knowing what to say to her. I refused to meet her clever looking eyes. "So, Ana. How's it going with Ethan?" She questioned and I blew out a puff of air.

"It's going fine." I replied, not bothering to fake any more smiles.

"Ah that'll change soon." She said, a hint of deviousness in her voice that scared me.

"What do you mean?" I asked her, my heart beating fast for some reason.

"How's Aaron?"

And then my heart stopped.

———

"Ana? Ana!" I opened my eyes, my vision blurry. I could see a blurry cream-ish ceiling.

I blinked a couple of times and realised that I was in a bed. Mine and Ethan's bed. I looked to my side and found Ethan sitting there. "Anastasia? Are you okay?" He asked, his voice enriched with worry. My eyes travelled to Ahira's worried ones and then to Adeline's.

"How's your ex, Aaron?" 

My heartbeat sped up as I remembered her words. How did she find out about Aaron? Had she already told Ethan? What was going to happen now? Will I not be able to marry Ethan? Some bitch this girl is.

"Anastasia?" Ethan said again.

"I'm fine." I said lowly to him as I searched his face for any trace of anger or disappointment.