30. "Can I please see her right now?"

(2064 words)

*Ethan's POV*

I had never felt as happy as I did that day. In a few weeks I would get married to Anastasia, the only girl in this world that had ever captured my attention. Her presence was so alluring, so hard to ignore. She made my heart beat so fast. She made me think and say things that I could never have imagined before.

She looked so beautiful. She always did. Standing there with my sister and cousins, she looked absolutely stunning as she laughed and chatted away. I lived to see her happy. How I ended up being so much in love, I don't know. But I do know that without her my life is unimaginable.

I was engrossed in talking to my cousins and friends but I would occasionally look at my beautiful wife-to-be. To be honest, I just wished that all of those people could disappear so that I could have her all to myself.

Unfortunately, I took my gaze away from her for a few minutes. How I wish I hadn't done that. I wish I had kept my eyes on her. Perhaps then she'd still be alright.

I paced around the gloomy white walled corridor of the hospital outside the ICU. Anastasia's mother was half-unconscious from all the crying. My mother's eyes were also moist. Anastasia's father was trying to appear firm and hopeful on the outside but inside, I knew he was torn apart.

I can't describe my own feelings. It felt as if my world had been torn apart. Why did she do that? How could she do that? Why did she have to take that bullet for me? More tears poured out of my eyes. I had never cried like that before. I had never cried for someone before.

I shut my eyes, mentally praying to God. Please save her. Please don't let anything happen to her. Take my life instead. A hand touched my shoulder and I wiped my tears away before turning to see that it belonged to Zayn.

"Ethan, she'll be fine, bro." He said, patting my back.

"I hope so." I murmured.

"Nothing will happen to her, Ethan. We're all here praying for her." He assured me.

"She took a bullet for me. She really did that." I said weakly.

"Yes, she really loves you."

"I should've seen it coming. I should've been alert. That bullet should've hit me."

"Ethan, please. Get a hold over yourself." Zayn said, squeezing my arm.

"Ethan! Zayn!" A pitchy voice suddenly exclaimed and me and Zayn turned to see Adeline rushing towards us.

"Ethan, I'm so sorry." She said once she was in front of me.

"She's going to be fine." I said in a firm tone, sniffling back my tears.

"Yeah, we can hope." She said and I snapped my head towards her, my eyes blazing with anger.

"What do you mean we can hope? Huh?! I said she's going to be fine which means she is GOING TO BE FINE." I snapped, breathing heavily.

"Ethan, I didn't—"

"Adeline, leave Ethan alone for now, please." Zayn said to her and she looked like she wanted to argue but thankfully she went to sit next to my mom.

"How much longer do we have to wait?" Ahira asked.

"Mr. Woods?" The nurse finally appeared from the ICU. Anastasia's parents, Ariana, her friends, my mother and Ahira all hurried to my side to listen to what the nurse had to say.

"The patient is out of danger now. You may visit her once she has regained consciousness." The nurse said and we all sighed out loudly in relief, muttering utterances of thankfulness to God.