[12]

Clair's pov
_________________

~17 of June 2004~

It was Clair's fifth birthday. Children of rogue parents were smiling at her, as her mother brought out her birthday cake. The cake was French vanilla, with purple, butter frosting. Being the lively, five year old she was, Clair smiled, giggling at the sight of the rainbow sprinkled claw marks. On the top, right hand corner, there was a black, fondant wolfs paw. Five candles were then lit and the people she loved and cared for, sang happy birthday to her. That all came to an abrupt halt, as the sound a click from a gun was heard. Then the scent of silver and wolfsbane filled the air around the peaceful rogues home.

The mother's immediately acted on impulse, and began to take the pups inside to safety. During the panic, Clair's cake fell to the ground, becoming a crumbled mess. The father's and husband's of the wives and pups, began to shift into their wolf forms, in order to protect their loved ones, even if it killed them.

Clair was motioned into the panic room, where her mother climbed in behind her, locking the doors. The whimpers of the scared children could be heard, as her mother tried to calm everyone down. That was until four gun shots were fired, with a second break in between. The strong, smell of iron carried through the air;  one distinguishable from the other. Each of the mother's, including her own, had tears running down their faces.

"Mommy, where's Dad?"

One of the older pups asked, as he two, had tears running down his face. His mother clamped her hand over his mouth, and pulled her pup to her chest, as she breathed in shakily.

"Shhh, we'll meet Dad soon."

The mother spoke with a dark, hidden meaning, looked at the other mothers who all gave a nod in silent, agreement. Clair's mother crouched down to her daughter, as she tried to blink back tears. She gave her a soft smile.

"You were always a daddy's girl, weren't you?...Just know baby, that Daddy and Mommy, love you so very much. But right now, I need you to make me a promise...can you do that for me, baby girl?" Her mother asked, to which she gave a faint nod of her head.

"I want you to live on. I'm sorry that we have to leave you, but when you get the chance, run as fast as you can, for as long as you can. Don't ever let the bad man, catch you." Tears ran down Clair's cheeks, as she nodded her head and wrapped her small, five year old self, around her mother.

In a moments silence, both the mother and daughter embraced each other, to which would most likely be their last time in each other's arms. The sky rolled into an inky, unforgiving black, as the man stood, looking down at the corpse of a freshly killed wolf. James had finally hit the jackpot, werewolves do indeed exist.

~Present day~

My eyes had been glowing a vibrant gold, as I stare into the eyes of my brothers mate. The look in Ashley's eyes was unidentifiable as she just seemed to turn pale, as the colour drained from her face.

"You wear contacts?" She asked me in confusion, causing me to hesitantly nod my head in agreement. I was unsure what to do in a situation, nearly exposing the whole existence of werewolves. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I gave Ashley a faint smile. But what I didn't realize, was that the beta that was here a few moments ago, had suddenly disappeared.

As both Ashley and I stared at each other I couldn't help but sniff the air, an odd scent had clung weakly at Ashley. It was an old scent that couldn't quite remember but it was still familiar in way that I remember from my fifth birthday, it had that old man smell with the strong smell of death like days old of decomposing flesh but it was that weird smell you get from humans. It was the scent of wet dog most likely from a wolf, looking directly at Ashley I asked the question that I would never dare to ask, but may have I just need this clarification as the scent that lingers on Ashley May have something to do with that horrible fateful day on a little five year olds birthday party.

"Do you know anyone that may have been a hunter or hitman as you may call it?"

It was the small motion of Ashley's throat going up and down that I knew something had to be up and my wolf had the overwhelming urge to slow rip apart my future sister in law and the mate of my brother.