6. good impressions & cooling rooms

One day I'll be snoozing peacefully
But surely not today, surely not today
- Alessia Cara, Not Today.

The week flew by and I was so happy when Saturday came. I was so sleeping in today. I pulled my fluffy covers to my body and I snuggled under it, letting out a soft sound.

"Don't you have a job you should resume at today?"

Tanner's voice rang in my ear and my my eyes flew open. He leaned against the door, a smile on his face.

"I totally forgot," I rubbed my eyes, sitting up on the bed, "I thought I could sleep in today."

"Bet you did, but you want to to give a good impression on your first day at work, don't you?" He walked over to my bed and sat on the edge.

I sighed, "I guess."

"Remember we have an agreement. If this stresses you out, you're quitting. Last thing I want is you telling mom or dad how I plan on killing you."

I chuckled, "Which reminds me that I haven't spoken to neither of them all week."

"Make sure you do when you get back, and make sure you also do your laundry when you get back."

"Uh, I was kinda thinking you'd be sweet enough to—"

"Don't. Don't even complete that statement, Renée," he laughed and I roll my eyes, "Well, excuse me now, I have to go to the bathroom."

"How does my presence stop you from going to bathroom?" He raised an eyebrow.

"I sleep half naked," I grinned sheepishly and he chuckled, "So? What is it I've not seen? I used to bathe you when you were younger."

"Oh wow, I mean, it's not like I've not grown since then or anything," I said sarcastically.

"We can't be so sure," he said in between laughs and I threw my pillow at him, "Go away!"

Still laughing, he got up from the bed, making his way out of the room, "Hurry up in there and come down for breakfast."

I let out a breath when he left, raking my fingers through my hair and getting off my bed. I walked into the bathroom and spent my time freshening up before coming out minutes later to get dressed. I picked out jean shorts, a black crop top. I took a jacket for just in case and slipped on my black Vans me and Tanner had gotten together. It was super comfortable and could go with all my clothing. After grabbing my sling bag, I made my way to the kitchen where Tanner stood, smiling to himself.

"Jeez, do you know how you look right now?" I pulled out a high stool from the island table.

"Huh?" He looked at me, lost.

"Nothing. You just looked possessed standing and smiling to yourself."

"Oh, yeah," he handed me a plate and put a few slices of chocolate pancakes on it.

"Why were you smiling?" I asked, curious.

He shrugged, "I just remembered something."

"What?" I pressed.

"Renée, will you eat your food?" He didn't look at me.

"Okay," I shrugged and grabbed the tube of caramel sauce, pressing it to my pancake and taking a bite of it.

"Tell me now," I said, my mouth full.

"You know, Kaleb was right about the way you eat."

I chuckled lightly, "Come on Tanner, I just want to know what got you smiling like that."