17. confusions & bail outs

❝ 'Cause I can hear you two times, run it on back, will it ever make sense to me?
- Rihanna, SZA, Consideration.

"That'll be all for today," Mrs Colton, the teacher who taught us AP biology said to us as the bell rang, indicating the class was over. "Please go through chapter three of your text talking about evolution of man. Be sure that I'll be giving you a short quiz on it tomorrow."

While everyone packed their bags, I sighed and bit my lip. I hated tests or quizzes. I hated that I did all I could in studying for them, but still failed. I didn't know what it was about them. I would never be ready for tomorrow's test.

"Hey, you need to smile," Kaleb appeared behind me, flinging his arm around my shoulder.

"Why should I? We've got a test tomorrow," I rolled my eyes.

"That's not a problem. Text me when you're leaving work, I'll meet you at home and we'll study together. I'll go over it with you."

"What's the point? I'll still fail anyway," I shrugged.

"Don't say that," he frowned.

"We both know I'm not lying, Kaleb," I chuckled.

"I'm still coming over," he said, pausing for a while, "I have b-ball after school, then I might head to Sydney's, I'm not sure."

I nodded tiredly, "Okay. I'll just go to work."

"Make sure to text me when you get there," he told me.

"I will," I nodded again.

*****

I hadn't stopped worrying even when I got to work. How I was in advanced classes, I didn't know. My marks last term weren't good and that meant I had to work even really hard studying this term.

I was so screwed.

"I heard when people who don't smile for like two hours straight will get wrinkles by the next day," River's voice filled my ears and I broke into smiles and I chuckled. My only real smile in hours, "That's not true. You don't smile when drawing, and may I add that, that's over three hours. You don't have a wrinkled face."

Yes, his face was still as perfect, I thought to myself.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

I shrugged, "School stuff."

"You're not being specific, you know," he leaned on the counter and I sighed, "I have a test tomorrow... Tests aren't really my thing."

"So, what's your thing?" He teased, chuckling.

I shook my head, "Not tests."

He looked around before looking back to me, "Are you done working?"

I nodded, "There's literally no one in the bakery anymore."

"Come with me, then," he said.

My eyebrows furrowed as I wondered why, "I'll have to get my backpack from inside."

"I'll wait."

I walked to the dressing room and saw Sky hanging up on the phone.

"Hey Sky, I'm done for the day."

"Alright. Have a great night, Renée," she said.

I'd gotten by bag when Sky said, "I see you and River have been hitting it off."

I flushed, "He's quite friendly."

"Yeah, I bet he is," she replied. "Really talented too. The samples he had done for the bakery was exceptional. I can't wait to see the end result of what he's doing."