₁₁ . takeoff

We stepped out of the pizzeria, onto a section of sidewalk that was sheltered under a red awning. Rain was pouring down rapidly onto the concrete ground in front of us.

"IS IT RAINING?" I yelled at Finn.

"Umm, yeah."

I ran out into the deserted sidewalk, spinning in circles as raindrops fell onto me. I had never felt anything like it before, except for maybe a shower. Finn stood there smiling at me.

"Is this your first time seeing rain?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said, now standing still with my mouth open, trying to catch raindrops.

"Just wait until you see snow," he laughed, walking over to me. He stood on the edge of the sidewalk and held his hand out above his head. A yellow taxi stopped in front of him and Finn opened the door, looking back at me to join him. I followed him into the car and he said something about an airport to the man in the driver's seat. I only knew what a taxi was from seeing them in movies.

"Are we going to California now?," I asked him.

"Yeah, but we don't have plane tickets, so I guess I'll have to figure that out."

"Can you get them online?"

"I could, but they're always sold out a few weeks before the flight."

"You can try," I said.

"Fine," he turned on his phone and spent a few minutes looking on different websites for flights to Los Angeles. "There really aren't any under 4 thousand bucks and we don't have that money," he complained.

I didn't know what to say, so I just put my hand on his shoulder and patted softly. "We'll figure it out."

He kept searching. "Okay, they say here on the website that if somebody cancels 48 hours before the flight, they don't put the ticket back on the website, so we can ask the airline when we get to the airport."

I had no clue what an "airline" was, but what he said sounded promising.

-

"I'm sorry, sir. There are no free seats until tomorrow's 8:25 pm flight," explained the woman behind the desk.

"What about any other airport in California?" Finn asked, desperately.

"How old are you two?" she asked.

"Sixteen," Finn said.

"Twenty-one," I said.

"Me and my stepsister need to make it to la for a funeral tomorrow night," he made up. I cracked a smile at him, but he put his foot on mine to signal for me to stop.

"Oh, I'm so sorry dear," she said, "The best I can get you is 2 coach seats to Burbank tomorrow morning," she offered.

"But are there any today? Even in San Diego or Sacramento?"

"umm let me see," the woman typed something into her computer. "There are two seats for San Diego in two hours or tomorrow at 5 am."

"How much are they?," I asked.

"2,000 each."

Finn sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. He was sounding more desperate the more he spoke. "Is there anything remotely close to California that's less than 500 bucks for today? I just need two seats, even for Vegas or something, I don't care as long as we can drive to LA."

"I'll see what there is." The woman nodded in sympathy and went back to typing things into her keyboard. Finn glanced over at me, and I was slouched over resting my elbows and head on the desk counter next to him.