𝙚𝙥𝙞𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚 𝙄𝙄

1 year later

I'm impatient as I sit on the hospital bed, multiple doctors around me looking at charts and vials of my blood. They've taken my blood pressure, checked all my vitals, taken a blood test, taken a urine sample, and given me multiple injections. I'm bored, playing with the tube of the IV that's currently in my arm. The doctors leave after a few minutes, and I sit alone in the room. 

I look out of the window, staring out at the grass and trees beyond the walls. It's the same room I was in two years ago, the first time I was on this planet. I've been back for a couple of hours, but I'm not allowed to leave quarantine until I pass all the medical tests.

Kendra comes into the room, carefully shutting the door behind her. "Well, Stella, things are looking really good for you. All your tests came back with good results. The medications you've been on worked."

That's a relief. 

"So," I ask, "can I see him now?"

Kendra sighs, "Stella you know we're not supposed to be discharged for 24 hours."

"Okay, but I was told he was going to be here when we I came back. Isn't he?"

"He is, I saw him. He knows you're okay, but you should get some rest first."

"Kendra, I'm not tired. I just want to put on normal clothes and get out of here."

She sighs again. "Stella, do you know what you're gonna do when you leave? Where you're gonna stay?"

We've been having this discussion for months. She wants me to live with her so I can be "integrated into society" or whatever but I want to be independent and live on my own.

"Finn and I will figure it out," I tell her.

"Stella you know-"

A voice in the doorframe cuts her off. It's Nathaniel Shepard. "Kendra, I'll give this one an exception from the 24-hour quarantine rule."

He gestures for her to leave us alone. "Stella, here are your possessions from your last visit," he hands me a brown paper bag.

"Thanks," I tell him.

"And I got you this, too," he gives me a small white box. It's an iPhone.

"You didn't have to," I tell him.

"I think I owe you," he tells me, "and it has my number in it, and I already paid for your phone plan, so you can reach out to me if you ever need anything."

"Thank you," I say, opening the box.

"And I got you this," he hands me an envelope. I open it, and it's a single piece of paper along with a smaller envelope. I pull out the paper, and it's a birth certificate, with my name, my mom's name, and my date and time of birth. 

"From a special request from the government, you are now in possession of the first and only interstellar birth certificate. And you are also now a legal U.S. citizen."

I smile and throw my arms around him, giving him a hug. "Thank you so much."

"It's the least I could do. And this," he points to the smaller envelope, "is your debit card. We will financially support you for three years, you have a 30 thousand in your account right now plus 5 thousand dollar a month budget for rent or whatever. And if you decide to go to university, I will fund that for you personally."