₁₄ . drunk

It had been even more long hours of driving, but we had been able to entertain ourselves with music, snacks, and a game Finn showed me called the "license plate game". He and I knew it was going to be dark out soon, so we had our eyes out for a hotel.

"Wait, there's a hotel coming up on our left," Finn said, interrupting our current conversation about dumb stories from our childhood. "I see a swimming pool, we have to pull over," he added.

"Okay," I said, merging lanes into the left. I parked the car in the parking lot. Which was dimly lit by the red motel sign. It was pretty much dark out now, and the last orange gleams of sunset in the cloudy sky were fading. I wish I could have watched it more, but I had to pay attention to the road since it was getting darker out and I didn't want to get distracted.

We made our way inside to the check-in desk, a dimly lit grey room with dead plants on the counter, where a tired-looking woman sat. She was puffing her cigarette despite the no-smoking sign on the door. "You kids want a room?" she sighed.

"Yeah," said Finn, "only one night."

"You mind sharing a bed? We're out of double bed vacancies."

"That's fine," Finn said.

"Are either of you two over eighteen?"

"Yeah," I said.

"Okay, that's 45 bucks, you're gonna have to fill this out," she said, passing me a paper form and pen. "Towels, vending machines, and ice are down the hall from the room, WiFi is two bucks per hour, the pool code is 4321, and we are not responsible for any injuries or stolen items. It's twenty bucks if you lose the key and charges vary for room damages."

"Alright," Finn said as I finished filling out the form. I put a made-up phone number, put my name, the birth date on my license, checked a few boxes agreeing to terms, and wrote the date and my name in cursive on the bottom of the sheet. I knew how contracts and forms worked since Kendra used to show me how they worked when she did paperwork when I was little.

"Here you go," I said.

"Cash or card?"

"Cash," said Finn, giving her two twenty dollar bills and a five.

"Alright," the woman said, looking over my form and grumpily handing Finn a metal key. "You're in room number seven. Have a nice stay."

We both said, "thanks," at the same time before leaving and heading back to the car. We grabbed our backpacks and snacks and went to the room. Finn struggled a bit using the key, but got it open after a few tries, he just had to wiggle the door back and forth a little. He fumbled to find the light switch but managed together with the dim lights on.

"It's not that bad," he said, looking around the room.

"Well, it could definitely better," I added, pointing to the cracked tv screen. The room had a bed in the middle with only two pillows and one nightstand, and a small desk in the corner and a tv stand above a dresser that was missing a drawer. There was also a door to a bathroom, that I didn't even bother looking at because I knew it would probably be gross.

We put our stuff on the floor next to the bed, and Finn stepped back outside. "Wanna go check out the pool?" he asked me.
"Okay," I said, heading outside to join him.

I followed him to the pool, which has a fence surrounding it and a locked gate with a keypad.

"How does this work?," I asked.

"You put in the numbers, 4321, and it unlocks," he explained. He entered the code the woman gave us, and the hate made a buzzing sound. He was able to open it and we walked in. The pool was small compared to the ones I had seen in movies and stuff, but what was I supposed to expect from a crappy hotel.