₉ . runaways

"Finn!," I yelled, banging on the bathroom door.

"What?" he yelled back through the door.

"We need to leave right now, they found me."

I heard the water shut off. "What?" said Finn.

"We have to go!," I yelled.

"Okay, give me one minute," he responded, calmly.

"FINN WE DON'T HAVE ONE MINUTE!," I yelled. I was freaking out and tried to open the door. "Why is it locked?," I said.

"Because I'm naked," he yelled back. A few seconds later, he burst out of the door, clothed and drying his hair off with a towel. "Okay, what happened?"

"The cops found me and Nathaniel and Kendra are on their way up here right now so we have to go before they find me."

"Fuck," said Finn. "Am I in trouble?"

"Well, I would think so. I mean, it's either they take me away or we run," I said, panicking.

"Okay calm down," he said, throwing his wallet, phone, and charger in his backpack. Finn threw on a pair of sneakers then rushed over to the hotel room door where I was anxiously staring out of the peephole in the door.

"Are they out there?" he asked me.

"No," I said, "We should run." I stepped away from the door and Finn opened it, looking up and down the hallway. He started running down the hall and I followed him to the door that leads to the stairs. He cautiously opened the door and looked down the flights of concrete stairs, seeing if there was anybody below.

"It's clear," he said. Finn started racing down the stairs, and I tried to follow behind him. I was a bit slow since I was worried about tripping.

"Stella, hurry up!"

"Okay, I'm trying," I responded. 

Finn groaned and grabbed my hand, pulling me along with him as he ran. When we were only one flight away from the ground floor, we both heard the loud sound of a door below us slam open. Finn let go of my hand and turned back around and I pointed to the door next to me that lead to the second floor. He followed me in and we were in another hallway full of hotel rooms.

"What the fuck do we do now?" he whisper-yelled.

"I don't know," I responded, whispering back. I looked around, trying to find another exit. I spotted the service elevator right a few feet away from us. "There," I pointed to it. 

I pressed the button and the door opened. Finn followed me in and looked at the panel of buttons. "We can't go to the lobby," I said.

"Ummm," he stalled. "Basement?" he offered.

"Sure."

He pressed the button labeled 'B' and the room started moving down. His phone started ringing and he pulled it from his pocket. He had an incoming call from his mom. Finn sighed and denied the call. "They're probably at my room," he said.

"Good thing we got out," I said.

We had reached the basement, and the elevator doors opened. We were in a deserted, dim hallway. I hesitantly started walking, followed by Finn. We paced down the hallway, reading the signs on the doors, that were all boiler rooms, storage, and laundry. I kept walking until I spotted a door with a sign that said 'fire escape' on it.

I looked over at Finn as if to ask if we should go in. He nodded a yes at me, squeezing his lips together. I opened the door and a flight of dark steps was in front of us. Finn turned on his phone flashlight and went in front of me. A few seconds later, we reached a door at the top. Finn pressed the metal bar handle, exposing us to the harsh daylight. I stepped out and squinted. 

"Okay so what now?" he asked me.

I looked around and noted that we were in a narrow alleyway. "We leave without the cops seeing us I guess, we should get out of this part of the city," I explained. 

"Okay," he said. We walked over to the end of the alleyway. I glanced around the corner of the building. The cop cars were still there and there were about ten officers standing outside the building. The sidewalks were quite crowded, and there were cars honking in the street

"There are so many police," I said, pulling my head back.

"We just have to sneak onto the sidewalk and walk away without drawing any attention to ourselves," he said. "Just walk with me and don't turn around no matter what you do."

"Okay."

We both walked onto the sidewalk and down the block, blending in with the other pedestrians. 

"We did it," he said after we had crossed the street to another block.

"What now?" I asked, looking over at him. 

"We get away from here, just keep walking," he said to me.