₂₁ . return

It felt like there was a pit in my stomach as I walked up the steps to board my flight. And by flight, I mean a 500 million dollar NASA rocket. The time had finally come to go back to East Texas, after weeks of being hooked up to machines keeping my heart going. I wasn't sure if I felt off from all the medicine in my bloodstream or the feeling of knowing I might never come back to earth after today.

"Hey," I heard an oddly familiar voice coming from below me, "nice ride."

I turned around and saw Finn standing on the ground at the bottom of the steps, surrounded by a few security guards.

"You gonna be okay?" I asked him.

"Maybe," he said, his voice clearly pained. "Stella, I just wanted to say that I had the time of my life with you."

Tears welled in my eyes. "Me too, Finn. Thank you for everything."

"You're really awesome stell. It sucks that you ended up being too good for Earth," he said, making me smile.

I giggled a little as a tear rolled down my cheek. I realized that this was my last time ever seeing him. "Hurry up, Gardner," yelled a voice behind me.

"Promise me that we'll see each other again?" I asked him.

"I promise. No matter how much space between us."

I cracked a smile and looked at him one last time, standing alone in the fog of the engines. He seemed so calm and still, almost as if he were existing in slow motion. The boy kept his eyes on me, not blinking, as I let myself let go of him.

"I don't want to say goodbye, so I'll see you later, Finn."

"See you later, Stella," he said, trying to mask the pain in his voice. I caught one last glance of his face, taking him in for one last time. His messy curls, his perfect cheekbones that glistened with fresh tears, and his painfully charming bittersweet smile.

As I turned away from Finn and stepped into the spacecraft, tears couldn't stop flowing down my cheeks. My world was being split in half, and I had no choice other than to accept it. 

One thought repeated in my mind, that maybe by some miracle Finn would keep his promise.