Arabella - Twenty-Four

Enemies come in all shapes and sizes, from physical to psychological. It could be of the mind, a person, a creature, an organization, anything that could potentially harm you. Sometimes it feels as if the world is completely against you and you wish that it would get better. You just want things back to normal again.

*****************************************

Though Humphrey is all apologies to Bourne, I still don't trust him. There is something lying in wait deep inside of him and though I know he would never try to kill Bourne because he wanted to, it doesn't mean that whoever or whatever is controlling him now will follow Humphrey's rules. Bourne had phoenixed again and some hours later, he walks out of his room looking better and seeming to look refreshed. Alexis goes over to him and touches his shoulder softly, whispering something in his ear.
He nods and then looks at me. He walks over and sits beside me on the couch, putting his hand on my very distended stomach.
"The baby grew." He says, looking at my belly in fascination. "You're so big now..."
"Be glad that I'm not hormonal right now or I might have burst into tears." I say with a smile.
Bourne chuckles and pulls me to him, tucking my head under his chin.
"You think I'm crazy, don't you?"
"Crazy?"
"About dealing with Humphrey."
I sigh. "Bourne, he's your friend and I know that he would never do anything to hurt you but I saw him. Something made him do that because when he saw what he had done he was truly frightened. I don't understand this phoenix stuff, let alone those made of ice. But you do with him as you see fit because you know him better than himself."
He nods and kisses my temple softly.
"I hate to break up such a tender moment, but I wanted to bring something up to you." Lochner says, sitting next to me.
"Alright," Bourne says.
"I was going over and over it in my head about what happened that day and I suddenly remembered a statement that Trevor had made when talking to Humphrey. He said something like 'tell me what happens when your loyal dog realizes his master changes ages'; in a manner of speaking. Anyhow, there is obviously something that can control the way people think. I think he was saying that he can control people's thoughts."
"I also think that he was hinting at something that you can do as well, just not to the same degree." Humphrey says a little ways from us. "He sounded so sure of himself..."
As much as I want to hate Humphrey for what he did to Bourne, the tired and nervous way he looks and is sitting just further implicates that he was not in his own mind. He had vowed to Alexis that he wouldn't get within six feet of Bourne unless absolutely necessary.
"How so?" Bourne asks to Humphrey's observation.
"Well, just like Lochner said, I think it has to do with people's thoughts. I think the phoenix has the ability to control some things about people. 'Tell me what happens when your loyal dog realizes his master changes ages'. I find it strange that he said 'realizes', as if we never knew."
"Agreed." Lochner says. "It sounds as if he's saying that those who love you or want to protect you are under some sort of hypnotism so that we don't get freaked out by your reverting. Almost like you yourself are the one who keeps us here, not by our choice."
Bourne nods, understanding and looks at me.
"Do you understand what they mean?"
"I follow... But that doesn't justify him trying to kill you. What does he have against you? Does it have to do with the whole elemental thing; fire versus water type deal?"
"I think it might have to do with that... Alexis, how was your husband when you were pregnant with Bourne?" Lochner asks, looking over at her.
Alexis looks around in confusion, having suddenly been pulled into the conversation.
"What?"
"How was your husband when you were pregnant with Bourne?"
Alexis looks a little vacant, thinking, and then shrugs.
"He was very protective, that's for sure. It was as if he detected something all the time. He once broke a woman's hand because she reached out and touched my stomach without my permission. He grabbed her hand and squeezed until she cried out..."
"Would he have killed for Bourne?" I ask suddenly, having a dark and sickening feeling.
"I believe he would have... Why?"
"I think I understand now..." I say, looking at my belly. "My baby; it all has to do with him."
"What do you mean?" Bourne asks.
"Think about it. If your father was so high strung with you and there was no ice phoenix anywhere, imagine how Trevor is when his opposite, a regular phoenix, is kissing on the mother of his child. Being so close to it, touching her belly without permission, loving her... God, he's protecting his young..."
"That and trying to defeat his enemy." Humphrey says, looking at his legs. "He means to destroy you."
"Destroy me?" Bourne asks, a little bit of shock in his voice.
"You're his enemy and you are too close to his mate and his child. I'm sure he would do anything to make sure neither are hurt or touched by you." He looks up, his expression dark. "I say destroy because he seems to mean that he wants every part of you dead and done in a way that hurts the most. Having me, your closest friend, stab you? That's pretty intrusive."
"I agree with Humphrey." Lochner says, standing. "I don't think he'll hesitate to try and hurt you again. I think you two should go into hiding."
"Hiding? What are we fugitives?" I ask, giving him a look.
"No, but he trying to make Bourne suffer. That being said, he will try to find him and so things that hurt his heart. Sure, he might be protecting you and your baby but to hurt Bourne, I think he would sacrifice your safety to do it. He would make sure the baby was alright, but you..."
I look down because it is becoming quite clear that my ex-husband was a complete and utter lunatic.
"So it's settled then." Bourne says. "We'll go into hiding. We'll go to a hotel or something."
"Are you sure about that?" Alexis says, looking at us in worry.
"We have to strategize and we can do that without having his crazy antics about our heads. Being in a hotel, away from everything, can give us a better perspective I think." He says, nodding to himself.
"How will we contact you?" Lochner asks.
"There's a payphone right outside the house and I'm sure the hotel has a phone to use. No cell phones, they can be tracked." He says, pulling out his own and throwing it to the twins. "I'll find a good hotel to be at and then I'll call the house phone to give you the number to the hotel and all."
"What about clothes?" I ask.
"You can wear mine. I'll pack here and drive. No need to go back to your house." Bourne says, getting up. "We'll also be taking the motorcycle."
"Ai, chico, I don't think that is a good idea." Alexis says, walking to her son. "It's dangerous."
"It's also the smallest of transportation. I know how to drive it, Ma, so there's no need to worry."
"Yes but do you know how to drive it with a pregnant woman on it?"
"Yeah, man. It's not just you and Arabella, it's the baby too..." Humphrey says softly.
"I can do it." He says firmly and I notice that there is a small sheen of sweat over his face. "I know how to drive and I know how to keep my girlfriend and her child safe."
Alexis nods but the twins look skeptical. I notice that Humphrey must also see the sweat, for his head turns in that birdlike way they do when something is strange. He catches my eyes and quickly looks down. Bourne leaves, Alexis following him and that leaves me with the twins.
"You saw it too, didn't you?" Lochner says with a frown.
I nod. "The sweat?"
"Yes. That and the fact that he delayed in phoenixing. He's never done that before and he's been stabbed more than once."
"What does that mean?" I ask, automatically turning to Humphrey, Lochner as well.
He shrugs. "I have no idea. It has nothing to do with what happened with me. But I am worried... Like Loch said, he delayed in phoenixing. That will be the start of things. If it gets worse, you'll have to watch over him."
"We're trusting you Arabella." Lochner says, walking toward me. "We've never had this much trust for someone in our entire lives. We are giving you our blessing and asking, pleading with you: please look after Bourne."