Bourne - Twenty-Seven

Woe to those who are in mourning. Woe to those in pain. Woe to those who need consoling. Woe to those entranced. Woe to me and woe to you, we all are in danger no matter what we do. Woe is me, woe is me, take this pain and set me free.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No one will ever understand what it feels like to feel yourself turning from an eighteen year old and then into a baby. The feeling is gross and creepy and unnatural. Sure, doing it because of the phoenix is freaky enough, but continually doing it without the help of the phoenix is almost unbearable. Not only that but my mind has been slipping in and out of ages so much that it doesn't even remember who is what and how is when. It's very frustrating and I'm sure Arabella hates having to take care of me like I'm her child. I'm pathetic...
But she's so kind to me... She cools me off and lets me lay on her. She holds me when it hurts, soothes me when I feel I can't breathe. She even sang to me one of my favorite Beatles songs... I could never ask for a girlfriend as good as her. No one in this world compared to her and I wanted nothing more than to get this over and done with so I could marry her. But I am just so hot...
The phone rings and I listen but I don't hear Arabella moving about. The phone continues to ring and yet I hear nothing. I open my eyes and I see no sign of Arabella. The phone won't stop and so I crawl across the bed and pick it up.
"Hello?" I ask, horrified at how tired I sound.
"You sound quite spent. Is everything alright?" a snide voice says on the phone.
"Who is this?"
"I think you know who it is. Think a little..."
I think and then I gasp, glaring at the floor as I clench my fist.
"Trevor."
"Bingo, Fire rat... I may have inserted too much poison into your system..."
"So it was you."
"But of course... And thank you so much for mentioning where you were staying. Humphrey was an excellent source of information when I purged him for answers. I'm sure you're wondering where my sweet wife has gotten to, right?"
"What have you done to her?"
"I haven't done anything to her. She's the mother of my child, I would never hurt her."
"Just answer the question." I growl angrily.
"Bourne! Bourne, I'm so sorry! Humphrey came and I didn't know he was still attached to Trevor-"
"Believe me, she's fine." Trevor says flatly, like he's annoyed.
"What do you want with me? I haven't done anything to you."
"On the contrary, you've been trying to court my ex-wife, who is carrying my progeny inside of her. She is my property and thus you have crossed a line. What's more, you've laid hands on her stomach..."
"Well how the hell was I supposed to know there was an ice phoenix with a vendetta?" I snarl into the phone.
Trevor laughs. "You have made things very fun for me, I have to say. But, it is time for you to die now and thus comes the end to the charade."
"What are you saying?"
"Whoever wins gets the girl. I don't really like her but when the brat is born, it's mine. It's my progeny..."
"You are not serious? You don't seem fit to raise a child. You're fucking delusional!"
"Am I? Meet me at the docks and we'll settle this once and for all?"
"Well you poisoned me so how am I supposed to get there?"
"It has worn off by now and besides, it was only fair. A fire phoenix is more powerful than an ice phoenix. I was weakening you."
I smirk. "You must be one hell of a weakling if it took you five days to get me to your level."
The phone is promptly hung up and I chuckle to myself for being able to get my snark in before he hung up. I soon call Ma and she answers quickly.
"Oh, Bourne, Humphrey left and then called Lochner to tell him that he was kidnapping Arabella. We've been worried sick about you!"
"I'm fine now... I have to go meet him at the docks. He's got Arabella and he infiltrated Humphrey... He's not on our side anymore."
Ma sounds like she's crying but pulls it together to talk on the phone.
"We'll drive to the docks to make sure Arabella is safe. Please be careful with that crazy man, Bourne. I can't lose you..."
"I know, Ma. I'll be careful..."
I hang up the phone, knowing full well that I have told my mother a lie.

*******************************

I get dressed quickly and then head to my car. I feel a little weak as I drive but nothing compared what I have been feeling for the last five days. It's been pure hell in that room and I was not about to let what little strength that I did have go to waste. I finally get to the docks and walk toward them when I spy Humphrey.
"Welcome." He says with a cruel glint in his eyes but I only nod.
Humphrey wouldn't be here if not for Trevor's mind control so I concern myself with only one thing and that is rescuing Arabella. As I walk past the freights, I finally find Trevor and his other guy, Dylan or something as Arabella is tied up in a chair with a gag on her mouth and a gun pointed to her head.
"So glad that you could come, Bourne. I have been waiting to talk with you face to face for the longest of times." He turns to Arabella and then takes her face in his hand as he grabs her cheeks. "Isn't she beautiful? The natural maternal glow almost makes her angelic, no?"
I don't reply but he leans down and gives her an unneeded kiss, which disgusts even me because it is quite repulsive. She wrenches away in disgust and shakes her head.
"As you can see, I own her. She is my mate and no one is allowed to taint her as she bears and cultivates my child. But then you come along and ruin everything. You come with your dashing good looks and your red hair and take her heart away. At first I didn't care what happened but then I realized what you were and I just couldn't believe it! But when I smelled you on her, where you had touched her... I just lost my nerve..."
"Your fight is with me, Trevor. Leave Arabella and the baby out of this."
"They are out of it. They're in this chair." He says, gesturing to the chair.
Arabella rolls her eyes at him and looks at me with worry. I'm sure I don't look as well as I could but I'm here to rescue her, not debate.
"Take the gun away from her head. Is that any way to treat your wife?"
"I don't give a damn about her life. The only life I care about is the baby's since it will be just like me..."
"I hope not." I say dryly.
Trevor chuckles and then cackles and I realize that he really is crazy. How, I don't know but something snapped in his brain. He grabs the gun and points it straight at Arabella's forehead and smiles.
"I could splatter her brains all over the place and still gain my prize if it would allow me to see the agony on your face. I never really liked her anyway..."
"No! Stop... Please, let her go. She's done nothing and she doesn't deserve to be treated this way. Fight me! Phoenix against phoenix... A dual..."
"A dual..." he says, scratching his head with the barrel of the gun and then he smiles. "Excellent idea. We'll do it like back in the old English times. Dukes had duals... Give him a gun alright?" he tells Dylan.
He comes over and hands it to me and I frown, not liking guns anyway.
"The way I remember it is counting to five and then turning. Let's go."
"We have to stand back to back first so we are equal distances apart." I say, not liking his idea.
"Agreed..." He walks over to me and leans against me. "Ready?"
We count and spin and I feel the bullet rip through me but I notice that I get Trevor as well.
Arabella has gotten the gag from her mouth and screams. Trevor goes down but I'm used to getting shot at and stabbed so I run to Arabella and start to untie her.
"Bourne! Are you alright?"
"I'm fine."
"When Humphrey came to the door I didn't even think and he just-"
"You need to get to safety. My mother is coming with Lochner."
"But will you-" She gasps. "Bourne, my water just broke."
"What water?" I look down and see a puddle of water under her. "Y- you're..."
"Ooooh, Bouuuuurne..." Trevor says, getting up off the ground.
"I love you, Arabella Rickward. I always will, know that."
"Bourne! I'm about to go into labor!" she screams as I ransack Trevor to the ground.
Most of it fades as I begin to battle against Trevor, knowing that I may not make it out alive.