Chapter 7

19/11/2018

Not far from the biggest and buzzing district of Zhao, there was a large siheyuan* mansion located on a large proportion of land. The owner of this mansion was rumored to be one of the royal family members. Even so, behind the enclosed high gray wall secluded from any prying eyes, no one could confirm who it was actually belong to. However, the usual vacant and gloomy mansion was filled with the spirit of liveliness, at least from Cheng's unusual blissful perspective.

Nearby the eastern side of the mansion, Cheng was on a tree tall enough to give him full view of the courtyard. He was beaming from ear to ear like an idiot all morning. The reason was no other than the young lad that tirelessly working around the house. For four days straight, he had been stationed on this tree as if it was his second house. One reason was to make sure that Xingfu did not run away and another reason was just that he enjoyed the presence of this young lad inside his house. It gave him a warmth feeling, the feeling of being at home.

Flashback*

"I bought you from that place last night.", Cheng lying with a poker face while sipping tea.

Xingfu stopped, stupefied and utterly at a loss. His complexion grew pale at the information he had just acquired.

"T-That's impossible...", he faltered, but with some effort he managed to uttered a question, wiping his watery eyes with his sleeves," What is going to happen to me?"

Witnessing such heartbreaking image in front of him, Cheng could feel chest throbbing in pain while the guilty conscience was eating him raw. Cheng knew that if he wanted to make the boy stay with him he had no other option but to lie. That was the only he way he could come up with. No war strategies he had learnt for almost his entire life could help him when it came to love. Wait....love?? So this is love? But what is love again?

Seeing that Cheng was lost in thought, Xingfu carefully asked,"Sir?"

The voice interrupted his train of thought. He again focused his attention on Xingfu. After a while, Cheng finally declared, "I did not buy you with any lustful intention in mind." After a pause he continued, "Judging from your response earlier, you must have been sold against your will. Am I right?"

Xingfu quickly nodded with eager face.

"Unfortunately, I cannot just let you go because I spent a large sum of money on you."

Xingfu's jaw dropped to the floor. Why did he even bother asking then!

"Rest assured I won't do anything to you." at least not now.

"You can work as a servant in this house until you pay off the money. "

Although he sounded like he was giving Xingfu an offer, in fact, it was a command. Xingfu did not have a choice but agree to what he said.

"How long will that be?"

"Depends on how hard you work. If I am pleased with your performance, it might be earlier than the original duration."

"And how long is that original duration?"

"Who know? It could 10 years 20 years."

Xingfu's brows started to furrow together. This man annoyed him on purpose!

"What is your name?"

Xingfu jumped at the sudden question. He then answered with low and hesitant tone,"Xingfu. Jie Xingfu"

Cheng looked straight into Xingfu's eyes and warned,"Xingfu, don't even think of running away."

I will chase you the edge of universe, and when I find you I will lock you up. Of course that was what Cheng thought to himself.

Hearing his dead serious tone, Xingfu unconsciously flinched. How did he knew that i plan to flee from this place??

"I believe that you are an honest kid." He added as he gave Xingfu a gentle smile. Normally this smile could make any women's hearts melt but not Xingfu. His trustful expression made him feel uneasy.

"What if i run?"Xingfu carefully asked.

"I believe you won't do that." Cheng answered while still wearing his charming smile.

Hearing this, Xingfu averted his gaze while trying to gather his thought together. Now i am the bad guy who plan to run away from this man who put his trust on me? How did it even turn out like this? Should i run or should i stay?? Ahhhhh!!!

Meanwhile, Cheng also thought to himself Wang Cheng oh Wang Cheng how can you shamelessly talking about trust when you are the one who deceived him in the first place?

Cheng gave Xingfu a sorry expression but Xingfu who was busy avoiding Cheng's gaze did not notice any of that.

Back to present*

Cheng heaved another long sigh. He seemed to sigh a lot this day. In the past, he used to mock people who were talking about love; but at the end, he himself could not escape this so-called feeling of love. His wish was to live an unrestrained life full of freedom; however, he was presently bounded by the invisible chain called love. Surprisingly, he did not hate it.

Since he was young, Cheng had always detested the life in the palace and royal family affair in general. The schemes and power struggle could turn white to black, turn good to bad. Even if one was saint at first, sooner or later, their heart would be corrupted. It was either to protect oneself or was blinded by greed. His brother would be a good example of that. The, once, gentle and kind brother of his became cold and cruel when their mother was poisoned to death.

So when he was assigned to go war at the age of 15, Cheng was more than happy by his brother's decision. But it was also because it was his duty to assist his brother since he was just ascended the throne and did not have stable power in his hand yet.

Unlike other people around his age, he spent his youth in the battle field; everyday bathing in blood, both his and the enemy. Starting from just a low class foot soldier, he climbed up the ladder to become a general through his various achievements until his name was known throughout the land. But as he got older, before he even realized it, he was bounded by another invisible chain. He started to feel that all his achievement was pointless. It could no longer make him feel content. That was why he resigned and went to find new purpose in life.

For two years, he travelled to a lot of places and befriended so many people; he was happy with his freedom, but somehow, deep down the emptiness inside his heart was still remained. He felt like something was missing until he met Xingfu at that night. Reminded of Xingfu, his gorgeous lips curled into a smile.

Seeing that the golden rays had already turned orange and the sun was already dipping behind the horizon signaling the coming sunset, Cheng jumped down from the tree. He lightly brushed his black robe to remove the dust and leafs. With hands behind his back, he delightedly walked to the front doors and pushed it open.

"I am back."

A/N: siheyuan house is basically the house with courtyard. It was commonly found throughout China. The size of the house depends on the wealth of the resident.