Chapter 14

4/11/2019 2:46pm

Two days after the troop led by Wang Cheng had left capital, Jin Sheng welcomed commander Ding who had just returned from the border. His regiment had sieged another victory, and brought glory back to the country.

As soon as Ding Lun arrived at the capital, he hurriedly entered the Imperial Palace.

When the old eunuch Ding Lun walking toward the imperial study, he tacitly understood the situation and went to report to the emperor that commander Ding was seeking an audience. As he received the affirming sound from the emperor, he went back to commander Ding, "Commander Ding, his majesty is waiting for your arrival."

Ding Lun glanced at the eunuch as he nodded and entered the imperial study.

"Greeting his majesty, may his majesty lives for thousands of years!" his voice was not too loud nor aggressive but pleasing to ears. It echoed in the spacious study and finally attracting the attention of the man sitting on the throne.

"Stand up."

Ding Lun obeyed but he dared not to look at the emperor. It was not because he was afraid but looking directly at the son of heaven was a treason. However, he could not help but steal a glance at the person in front of him.

"There was no need to come here to report direct. I already received your report."

"This small official dares not."

"Mmm. You have worked hard. Tomorrow I will let people arrange a banquet to officially welcome the Southern armies. Today you will accompany me at dinner."

"Many thanks to his majesty."

Ding Lun appeared calm on the surface but his heart was beating wildly. Today he used the report as an excuse to see this person. He did not expect to be invited to dinner.

Eating at the same table meant he would be able to see the Emperor up close. His two years of hard work was really worth it.

Ding Lun, like many others high ranking official in the court, was the emperor's trusted aid that had been cultivated at a very young age. The relationship between them was master and servant. To the emperor, he was just a chess piece that could be discard at any moment. To him, the emperor was his savior and the one who gave him a second life.

But in recent years, he had realized that his feeling toward the emperor was not that simple. It had exceeded gratefulness but something taboo. He could only hope to stay close to the emperor even as a minister and meet him every few years.

As long as the emperor regarded him as worthy even just a little, he was willing to do anything. Don't talk about 2 years, even if the emperor told him to serve the border for his entire life, he would gladly accept it.

Ding Lun could only bow his head to hide his complex expression. He was afraid that if he was careless and let his emotion shown through his eyes, the emperor might catch on what he was desperately trying to hide.

After all, the man who lead a whole country by himself was not simple. The emperor eyes were very sharp. With just a glace, he could clearly see through everything.

Ding had to work extra hard to remain stoic and indifferent in front of the emperor. He could not bear it and might as well die if the emperor found out and gave him scornful and disgusted eyes.

While he was busy looking down, Ding Lun did not notice that the other man was looking at him with bright eyes.

-------------------------

Meanwhile, Wang Cheng had already fled away with Xingfu as soon as they were far enough from the capital. Before he left, he arranged his confidants to replace him as the commander.

The soldiers were confused since Commander Nie suddenly went missing and a new commander popped out of nowhere. However, they dared not to inquire about this matter since the new commander informed them that it was 'the higher up' decision.

Moreover, the new commander Bing also had the seal in his hand to prove himself so they could only follow silently.

While the troop hurriedly headed to the border without making any stop, Wang Cheng and Xingfu were setting out to Dayung province. As they passed the inspection gate, they were greeting by the lively atmosphere.

Despite being a small province, there were a lot of people coming to visit Dayung every year thanked to its rich geographical location. The local were dressing in colorful clothing and their living condition were no worse than people in the capital. After all, they were benefited from the ceaseless flow of visitors and their businesses were doing quite well.

Xingfu was used to seeing so many people when he stayed in the capital so he was no longer running around like a country bumpkin he used to be in the past. But he was still amazed by beautiful scenery.

Alongside the straight pathed road, there were cherry blossom trees in full bloom. As the wind blew, it carried the faint scent of cherry blossom giving people a serene and refreshing feeling of spring. Beside the road was a big and clear pond. The color of the water was vigorous and optimistic green. As the sunken sunlight shone on the pond, it created the shimmering and glittering waves.

Xingfu was still in awe by the scenery when Wang Cheng lightly tapped his shoulder "Do you like this place?"

Xingfu nodded "It's.... beautiful."

Using the word beautiful to define this place sounded rather strange. His vocabulary was limited since he did not receive proper education. He only knew how to read and write so he felt a bit upset.

Suddenly the familiar warm hand brought his attention back. Wang Cheng was patting his head.

"Next time we will visit even more beautiful places."

"There will be next time?"

"As many times as you want it to be."

Xingfu looked up. His brown eye met a pair of firm and resolute eyes. He looked straight in those eyes but he did not find any trace of joke.

Once again he felt his heart began to beat wildly. He could felt the uncertainty in his heart. No one had ever taken his every word seriously. No one had ever been so attentive toward him. No one had ever said his eyes...were beautiful even his mother. Only the person in front of him did all these things he had never expected to receive.

Of course he did not doubt Wang Cheng's action but he felt puzzled. He felt like he was not worthy of such treatment and consideration.

"Why...are you so good to me?"

The answer might not be what he expected to hear but what kind of answer he was expected in the first place?

He was stuck in a dilemma. One thing that he felt certain was that he could no longer blindly indulge himself in this illusion. If all of this was a dream he needed to quickly wake up and go back to reality.