Chapter 12

09/Mar/2019

Cheng looked at Wang Zhuang with disbelief. "Big brother, what does this supposed to mean?"

The content in the scroll was a painting of a young woman. Next to the painting was her information such as age, name, her family background and the list went on. Without checking out other scrolls, Cheng was sure it undoubtedly consisted of similar content.

"Why do you look so startled? How old do you think you are this year? Isn't it about time for you settled down and create a family?"

Cheng sighed helplessly. The matter of creating a family had never been on his mind, much less his brother who had the concern of his subjects to shoulder. After all, this was such a trivial matter. Choosing such a time to mention this issue, obviously this was his (WZ) way of rejecting the yet to be introduce brother-in-law. But if he really wanted to object, he wouldn't to use such a roundabout way. This wasn't his style. He could have just drop an imperial decree and Cheng would not be able to avoid the marriage. Did his brother deliberately hinting something?

Cheng helplessly sighed, "Big brother do not have to worry about such insignificant matter."

Wang Zhuang's expression remained aloof as if he expected the answer. "Give me an answer when you come back from this expedition."

Right now, Cheng had already regained his composure. He calmly replied, "Cheng understood."

Thus this matter was temporarily pushed aside.

------------------------------------

By the time Cheng returned to his residence, the sun had already descended beneath the horizon, giving off a faint color of ombre to the sunset sky.

 As Cheng arriving near his manor, he could already see Xingfu from afar, waiting at the front gate. His expression immediately sank. Recently the weather was getting chilly, as the winter had arrived winter. How could he wear such thin garment in this cold weather? Cheng was ready to reprimand him as he was getting closer.

Hearing the approaching footstep, Xingfu looked up. Judging from familiar silhouette, Xingfu could make out that it was Cheng. His eyes immediately lit up. Before he could open his mouth, the familiar black outer garment was thrown over his shoulders. Xingfu wanted to say he did not feel cold but he decided to keep silent. To Xingfu, having care for him was something he definitely did not hate.

"Why aren't you waiting inside? How long have you been out here?" Xingfu face was a bit pale, but his cheeks and nose were flushed red. Cheng figured out that he must have been waiting here for quite some times. Seeing this, his gaze immediately soften, he did not have the heart to scold him.

"I didn't wait long."

"Alright quickly go inside and warm yourself up."

"Enn"

The two of them were eating meal together as usual while chatting from time to time. They both didn't talk much but apparently the air surrounding them appeared solemn and harmonious. After they finished eating, Cheng asked Xingfu to follow him to his study since he had some matter to discuss.

Cheng told Xingfu about the expedition but he didn't give any deeper detail. The thing that shocked Xingfu was that Cheng planned to bring him along.

"Didn't you once tell me that you wanted go out and see the world?"

Xingfu was a bit startled as he himself didn't even remember saying it. Now that he recalled it he really did mentioned it before Cheng a long time ago.

"Can I really go?"

"Emm"

Xingfu's two eyes colors lit up. Seeing that he had almost tempted little Xing, Cheng hurriedly add a few more words.

"Around this time of year, the capital might be getting but it was different at the North." This sentence had greatly aroused a certain person interest. He paused for a short while, making the other person curiosity reached its climax.

"How is it different?" Xingfu who was annoyed by the sudden paused eagerly ask. There was a table between, and Xingfu was leaning close enough for Cheng to detect the faint scent of sandalwood. Cheng clear his hoarse throat to calm himself.

"Since winter at the north arrive later than in capital, People over there still enjoy the warm spring." Cheng stopped a bit to sip some tea and was about to continue but was stopped by an enthusiastic fellow.

"Right, I have read it in the book. The north right now should be full of lush, colorful blossoms, and fresh green hues!" Xingfu exclaimed. His eyes glittered like stars in the night sky.

Cheng arched his eyebrow. His lips curved up. The little Xing in front of him right now was full of vitality. This day he also smile often, really different from his past timid self. Cheng felt rather proud to see such significant change in this youth. This was how every eighteen years old supposed to be, carefree and relax.

"You read it in the book?" Cheng looked at Xingfu meaningfully.

Xingfu was not aware that Cheng's tone seemed rather strange. He subconsciously blurted out, "Yes, the book is in that bookshelf over......there-"

Xingfu quickly covered his mouth but it was too late. He looked at Cheng with horror.

"It's....i can explain..." He stopped for a bit to observe Cheng's expression but it remained serene. He seemed to wait for Xingfu to turn himself in. Thus Xingfu started admitting his crime.

Of course Cheng already knew of this. He just wanted to teased Xingfu a bit, while enjoying his various expression from fright to panic and from panic to impatient because he didn't say anything after little Xing had explained himself.

After Cheng had enough of his fill, he reassured the young lad, "I never said you can't be here. You can come here any time if you want to read book."

"Really?" Hearing this, his sunken head rose up. He always liked reading books. To him, Cheng's study was like paradise. If he could not come here anymore, he would be killed by boredom.

"Mnn"

The affirmation made the youth smiled, showing his snow white teeth.

Cheng could not help but leaned over to pat his head. Ahhh his little Xing is so adorable~~

Three later the troop led by commander Nie set out of the capital to the Northern border.

--------

A/N:

Wang Zhuang you cockblocker!
໒( ͡; 益 ͡; )७┌∩┐

*If you don't know who Commander Nie is, Cheng used to tell Xingfu that his name is Nie He Cheng.