Chapter 22

Sun, Oct 20 2019

On a dilapidated countryside rode, two figures could be seen passing through. One was a small silhouette riding a big and proud black horse that did not seem too friendly but unexpectedly docile enough to let a small person ride it. Another person was even more conspicuous than the first. His build tall and lean, although he did not look buffy his every steps clearly showed his immense strength and exceptional aura.

Oddly enough the combination of these two appeared rather pleasing to the eyes. Thankfully, right now was exactly lunch time adding to the fact that this small village had little population, there was no people alongside the road or else these two people would have attracted many onlookers since the people here rarely encountered outsiders.

Since leaving Dayung, Xingfu and Wang Cheng decided not to head back to the capital immediately but taking a detour and visited Xingfu hometown at the north as suggested by Wang Cheng. The reason behind this was obvious, to avoid a certain emperor as long as possible. Wang Cheng knew he would have to face Wang Zhuang and made himself clear but at least right now he wanted to cultivation the feeling between Xingfu and him.

"Xingfu are you tired?" This past month they had been travelling nonstop since leaving capital. Wang Cheng worried that this might be too taxing for Xingfu.

While the Southern part of Jin Sheng mostly experienced cold and spring weather throughout the entire year, at the North people relied heavily onto agriculture thank to its hot and humid weather. As a result, the crop and the food supplies were abundant and people did not have to worried about filling their bellies.

The sun was directly above their heads, emitting heat without sparing any mercy to the traveler. Xingfu was wearing a straw hat however it did not help much with the scorching summer sun resulting un large beads of sweat sliding down from his forehead to his chin. "I'm fine." He used his sleeve to wipe the sweat off his face.

Wang Cheng immediately frown upon this answer. This child was clearly tired but still not admit it.

Then Xingfu seemed to realize something. Wang Cheng and their horse Jing Yi had been walking this entire time so they must be tired. How could he be so thoughtless?

Xingfu eye roamed around and then he saw a big oak tree. "Let's rest for a bit."

Jing Yi was excitedly wandering around and munching on young grass as soon as Xingfu dismounted, leaving a trail of dust behind. Xingfu shook his head helplessly at his silly horse. "Will he be fine on his own?"

Wang Cheng scoffed as he glanced at the direction that the horse just ran off. Going as far as to give such gentle name to a rebellious horse, he really didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

"Just let it be." Let it run as far as it wanted. It would be better if it didn't come back.

As they sitting down, Xingfu could finally felt the fatigue kicking in. He rested his head on Wang Cheng's shoulder and close his eyes.

"And you said you are not tired?" Wang Cheng face did not look good. He was both angry and worried. Xingfu did not like to bother others so he would not say it out loud even if he was really having a hard time.

Contrary to his scolding tone, his action was very careful and gentle. He used a wet cloth to wipe Xingfu face and fed him some water.

Xingfu wanted to refute back but he also could not understand himself so he decided to stay quiet. Although his physique might not be as strong as an ox, he was not a delicate maiden either. He used to do all kind of hard labor from farming to hiking the mountain for medicine, but now just travelling on horse for some times could easily make him feel such weariness. Really he had been spoiled rotten by Wang Cheng.

"Lay down here" Wang Cheng patted his thigh.

Xingfu was taken aback. Such intimate posture, he had only done it when he was young. "I feel much better now."

Wang Cheng already expected this kind of respond so he pulled Xingfu down in a swift manner. He lowered his head and whispered into Xingfu ear. "Close your eyes. I will wake you up later. If you feel unwell you need to tell me immediately. Understand?"

This made Xingfu feels flustered. He rubbed his tickling ear until it turned red and mumble a confirmation sound.

Wang Cheng find that tender red earlobe very enticing. He felt the urge to bite and tease it but refraining himself due Xingfu sickness.

Because of his restless heart, Xingfu could not sleep after all. "Can you sing me to sleep?"

This time it was Wang Cheng turn to feel baffle. He had not tried singing before so he didn't want to embarrassed himself in front of his beloved. But seeing those eyes looking at him with expectation, he could only swallow back his objection.

Then something seemed to flash in his mind and he gave Xingfu a cunning smile. "Fine but you will need to pay for my performance."

Xingfu wanted to say he didn't have any money but then Wang Cheng started humming a tune. His voice was low and husky not sweet like the one his mother used to sing for him but strange enough it made him feel drowsy in the next moment. As he was slowing dozing off, he could feel a big and rough hand gently caressing his head and a familiar lullaby resonated in his ears.