16

Jared immediately jumped when he heard, "Connor! What did we tell you about having password protection on your electronics?" His father was the one who was scolding him, and the deep and stern voice scared Jared a tad bit.

Connor sighed, "I've got a friend with me, please don't start shit right now."

"A friend?" He scoffed, which Jared impulsively cringed at. He couldn't even see the man and he already didn't want to ever see him. He would willingly stay a room away from him constantly, and it looked like Connor would too. "Or is this a buddy?"

"Friend!" Connor groaned and managed to force a shaky deep breath through his chest. "I'm going to my room."

"We took your computer out already."

Connor bit his lip to hold back a snarky comment and rolled his eyes. He grabbed something Jared didn't get more than a glimpse of from his pocket and oh, Jared knew what it was now. He watched Connor zero a large hit from his dab pen before twirling it in his fingers. Jared sort of glanced over nervously, unsure if he should ask the questions that bounced through his mind. His nervous blur of thoughts was broken up by Connor grabbing him by the hand and tugging him up the stairs, into his bedroom and closing the door. He took another two hits, only one having to blow out smoke, and put it in his nightstand drawer.

Jared took a moment. When entering, he got hit with a wall of cigarette smoke, stale pot and cologne, and now the faint and sweet smell of indica oils. It was very Connor-esque. "Are your parents usually like that? Or did something happen?" He asked with a pursed lip frown as he walked along the walls and looked at all of the posters taped up unevenly. "What's the difference between a friend and a buddy?"

Connor let himself thump down on his bed and pulled his legs up to be criss cross. "Any more questions or are you gonna give me enough time to answer?"

"I have one more question," Jared sighed and pointed to a small stuffed mouse on the floor in front of him. "Why?"

"That's my cat's toy you dingbat," Connor scoffed an endearing chuckle. "And now for all the answers. One, occasionally they are. Most times it's always Larry, aka my father who was just talking and most times I'm basically a caged animal here like it's sea world and I'm a dying whale. My mom just lets me do whatever now, she gave up on me a while ago. Two, not in particular, just me existing as per usual. Last but not least three, yes, there's a difference and it's a friend is a friend but a buddy has benefits."

"So a buddy is a friend with benefits?"

"If I wasn't high right now you'd be punched, yes, it's what I said."

Jared nodded ever so slightly. He was t given time to think before his hand was grabbed again and pulled. He squeaked a small yelp of surprise and stumbled, almost falling flat into Connors back. Connor opened the window as wide as it could go and started to climb slowly up. "C'mon Jared, follow up," he called through the window. Jared hesitated but followed Connors foot holds he saw and hoisted himself up the roof. Connor just sat up there while Jared steadied himself. "Nice weather out for a bit of safe spot. 'S what I call it up here."

"Safe spot?"

"Does everything you say end in a question mark?" Connor asked in a more or less joking manner, maybe even a faint smile.

Jared chuckled and sat next to Connor. He didn't quite know what to do after that, but was there anything to do? There... well, there wasn't a point B. There's no end all at all while with Connor. No deadline, no destination, it was just one thing after another after another that confused him so much, an even though not much physically happened and they hadn't interacted much each day, thoughts came after him and swirled in his head. He let himself just relax next to Connor.

Maybe it was because Connor was high that he was able to relax with Jared, too. Maybe it was the fact there wasn't anything to stress about while his body felt tingles and like his chest was floating but his spine was sinking. His mind cleared itself out and let thoughts  on things that were just comfortable to think of. He radiated chilled out and relaxed energy.

"I like the safe spot," Jared breathed out, just barely making a whisper.

"I hope you can get down yourself because I'm not helping you," Connor scoffed a short chuckle and looked over. Jared almost had to do a double take because fuck, Connor raised an eyebrow and smirked at him, eyes slightly hooded but Jared had never seen Connor that close to an average smile. He'd never seen a smirk like that. Based on that, Jared had a new spark of wanting to see Connor smile. Wanting to see him smile and laugh, maybe more than just a scoffed chuckle at least, and see the smile-lines by his eyes and see him happy, or at least content, was his goal. No, not goal. His desire? That sounded to fanfic-esque for his taste. It was what he wanted. He wanted to make Connor happy, which was driving him mad. It was an indescribable swell in his chest that made him want that so bad. He snapped back out of his trailed off thoughts by Connor finishing with, "Judging by how you got up here, you probably won't be able to get down in under five minutes. Good luck when it comes time."

Jared smiled slightly. "I'll need that luck."

"My atheist prayers go out to you. It's the thought that counts."

Jared chuckled quietly and just let himself be taken by the silence.
~

Minorly stoned when I wrote this because I hate myself
Comments?
Votes?
Vomments?
Cotes?

I'm a slut for attention