20

Jared skipped school for half a week. His contact to Connor was just texting or calling, and even then Connor avoided the questions Jared implied. He never asked outright, he was too damn scared.

But Zoe and Evan were close. So Jared texted Evan midday frantically to ask Zoe if Connor is willing to elaborate what was wrong or if she had information she could tell him. He was so anxious he was heaving, and Jared's anxiety hadn't been that bad in a long while. Evan walked by Zoe's side, picking at his shirt hem and dragging his feet slightly. He didn't know how to even bring it up. How do you bring it up to his sister? You just don't. "Hey Zoe? I have a really weird question. Like really weird. Like the type of weird where there's a large debate if it's even alright to ask or say because it really might be sensitive or might seem unsettling for me to ask because I don't know him well like I know him but mostly through Jared and I haven't talked to him very often like I do but not much."

Zoe glanced at Evan and raised an eyebrow, the faintest trace of a smile on her face. "Shoot the question, I might not answer because I already know it's about Connor and shit's rickety now."

Evan bit his lip and tried his best to phrase it as gentle as possible. Though, his brain didn't like connecting to his mouth very well. He squeaked out a quick, "Jared's worried that Connor does depressive actions."

Zoe paused, face unreadable and eyes going blank. She took slow breaths and steadied out from the shock of that question. She didn't expect it. "That's Connors business. I don't know what depressive actions you have in mind but I can't answer that, I don't even know that myself." That was a lie though, she knew what happened that put him under a weird helicopter watch. It was either that or he wouldn't even be in town. He would be in a psychiatric unit. "Ask him yourself or have Jared ask."

"He avoids questions."

"He avoids living like a normal goddamn being at this point," Zoe sighed sadly and defeatedly. "I get worried. Skittles won't make him smile like they did so long ago."

"Skittles...?"

"It's just a thing. We both love skittles, but, it's weird," Zoe chuckled slightly and sheepishly, "I only like the warm colored ones, he eats the cold colored ones for me and now won't even touch warm colored ones. We always sort them and when the other feels like shit they get sorted skittles. It's feel better food, like how Jared eats weird cake bites, right?"

"Yep, coffee cake bites. Constantly have them in my locker and at my house."

"That's adorable," She shyly chuckled. "You're like, perfect unrelated siblings. Skittles used to make Connor smile even a teeny bit and now it doesn't, and that's all I can say really. Comfort foods make smiles. I've seen you smile with apple juice. Alana smiles with ginger ale. He, just... didn't smile. It was weird. I don't wanna go into the depressive... action part. I can't speak for him. I'm sorry"

"No don't be sorry!" Evan squeaked slightly and jumped ever so lightly. "I'm sorry, I know you probably couldn't have answered that in any way because it's his business and I shouldn't be involved."

Zoe nodded slightly and shrugged. She looked at her feet, thinking in her mind that she has to tell someone so she doesn't break down in all the pressure and worry and fear. She pressure breakdowns a lot and it was so much to keep in. How else would she react to learning her own brother is... too far gone in terms of mental stability? That he, well, that he self harms. She was blind to it before. "Wanna come over? I could use some company anyway. Connor has to stay visible to at least one person in the house and I'm not sure when either of our parents are gonna be home, Id rather at least sit with you instead of awkwardly near Connor."

Evan smiled slightly and nodded. "I'd love to, not like my moms gonna stop me," he chuckled sadly, rubbing the back of his neck. Yeah, he really did get awfully lonely, and he loved it when Zoe invited him over.

Zoe smiled sadly and tugged him by the sleeve in the direction of her house.
~

A h