Chapter Two: Josh // eat crap, Joshua.

Chapter Two: Third Person POV

Josh:

The boy in the train didn't cross his mind 'til two days later when he was in the bathroom. Of course, it wasn't for sexual reasons. Josh just couldn't help but wonder why the boy was so quiet and why he came out in a snow storm, without a coat.

Were there some problems at home? Was the boy being abused? Those were the first thoughts that came to Josh's mind because of the numerous books he'd read on abuse awareness.

He shook his head and slathered soap up his arm, the water was rushing. He didn't have any right to jump to conclusions like that. Besides, it was none of his business.

He was most likely never to see the boy again. They didn't even talk on the train! The kid just avoided him like a plague, shaking from the cold so much, Josh was tempted to offer him his coat but he was selfish and he didn't want to be cold. Besides, he didn't even know this guy.

And who even tried to talk to a stranger?

Someone who wants to make friends, Josh's subconscious spoke but he ignored it, closing his eyes.

Drops of water slipped down Josh's hair to his face. He'd decided to go with the colour blue this time and he let it fall over his eyes. He was going for a different look. Last time, it was red. He'd always been one for appreciating different colours and trying new things.

Josh rolled his eyes when he remembered how long his mother had yelled at it him when he came home, afterwards, bringing him into a hug and whispering how much he scared her and how the change would be good for both of them.

He decided to give the whole marriage thing a try and promised to not make it hard for her fiance. His mother also explained that the man she was about to marry had a child. A boy, about seventeen who was as shy as the moon hiding behind the clouds and she made Josh promise he'd get along with this boy.

Tyler, was his name.

Apparently, Josh's mom had seen the kid's pictures a few times and had evaluated, from what she heard of him, that, he was the kind of kid that stayed out of trouble and he'd be a great influence on Josh.

He scoffed at that. As if he'd let anyone influence him.

Josh turned off the shower with a squeak and grabbed a towel from the top of the toilet seat, wrapping it around his waist, stepping out into his room.

He picked out his boxer and jumped into bed, not before turning off the lights though. He closed his eyes and decided go take a nap. It was Saturday and he had no classes, or work that day. He worked at a repair shop that paid pretty well and he went to uni from home.

His mom's nursing job paid well enough for them to be considered as middle class. Josh could have anything that he wanted, simply because he was his mother's only responsibility and the money was there but he preferred to work for his money and save up for his own stuff.

He'd been working since junior year in highschool and hadn't touched an ounce of his money, saving up and asking his mother for money when he needed it which was rarely ever because he wasn't used to too much spending.

Josh cuddled up into his soft duvet and sighed in content. Saturdays were always his favourite's because he could always stay in and rest.

"Joshua!"

And resting time over, thought Josh with a groan. He sat up in bed and ran a hand through his wet hair that'd stained the pillow.

"Laura!" he yelled back, earning a surprised gasp.

"Excuse me young man, I am your mother" Laura said, stomping into his room and waiting by the door, hands on her hips.

"Yeah, so?" he threatened, although his eyes twinkled with amusement.

She laughed, "You're something else, Josh"

"Yeah, I know" he laughed, "But why'd you call me?"

"Oh, some new neighbours just arrived and I was wondering if we could go give them pie" Laura said. She'd always had a knack for welcoming people and making them feel comfortable.

"Of course" he stood from the bed in all his boxer shorts glory. His mother didn't even shield her eyes because it was something she saw on the daily. "But please tell me you didn't bake it" he laughed.

"Oh you know I didn't" she scoffed and rolled her eyes, leaving the room.

"Good. 'cos we don't want them dead the first day they move in!" he called after her with a chuckle.

"Eat crap, Joshua!" she yelled back at him.

He laughed. He'd always admired his relationship with his mother even when she was crying because she was the most beautiful person in the world to him.

Thirty minutes later, Josh was decent and he and his mother headed out the door with an apple pie in their hands. They knocked on the door when they reached their destination.

A young woman with vibrant green eyes and blonde hair opened it, smiling. Her stomach was large and she wadddled a bit, confirming Laura's suspicions that she was possibly pregnant.

"Hello. You must be our new neighbours." she said.

"We are. I'm Laura and this is my son Joshua" Laura introduced with a smile.

"Most people call me Josh" Josh butted in.

"Very nice to meet you, Laura and Josh. My name is Amelia and my husband is inside, his name is Travis. We're the Millers. If you wouldn't mind coming in?"she invited.

"Of course, here"Laura handed Amelia the pie.

"Oh, thank you"Amelia made way for Josh and Laura to enter. The house was filled with brown moving boxes.

"Sorry, it's still a mess in here. Travis, honey, the neighbours are here" Amelia called out to her husband, before smiling at Laura and Josh. "We were just unpacking things, I'm sorry"

Laura shook her head, "Oh, no. It's okay love. You just moved, understandable. Besides, you shouldn't really be putting yourself under pressure right now. I'm a nurse so I know those things. I think you should just sit down and I'm sure my son will love to help your husband unpack." Laura offered.

"He will?" Amelia asked.

"I will?" Josh asked, with raised brows.

"Of course he will" Laura said through gritted teeth. "Just let me lead you to the couch so you can rest a bit"

"Oh thank you very much, Laura. You're a life saver"Amelia said in gratitude while following Laura to a soft green sofa they'd already unpacked.

And so Josh found himself doing moving duties with Travis when he'd rather be in bed, sleeping.

So much for a resting day.

|| - //

What'd you think? x