Chapter Nine: Tyler // they were the best of friends.

Chapter Nine: Third Person POV

Tyler:

High school wasn't an ideal place to daydream, Tyler knew, yet he couldn't help himself. He just could not stop thinking about the time he'd spent with Josh the day before at the arcade.

Tyler wasn't really good at games, as he'd told Josh and he embarrassed himself a few imes, asking what controls were for what but Josh was inhumanely patient with him, teaching him the ropes until Tyler was able to play by himself.

How was a human being so tolerant?

Tyler slowly allowed himself to let loose because he was shy but not an introvert, if it made sense. Once Tyler was comfortable with a person, he could talk and be hyper for ages and the day before, Tyler was definitely hyper.

They'd spent hours playing games and when they got back home, Laura and Chris welcomed them with smiles saying dinner was ready. They laughed and joked at the dinner table and for once, Tyler finally felt as if he had a real family.

The bell rung, startling Tyler a bit because of the noise and the unexpectedness of it. He shook his head and gathered his books into his bag. It was the last class for the day which he was grateful for.

The bustle of the students kind of snapped him awake. He was just about leaving when a familiar voice stopped him.

“Hey, Joseph, wait up” it was Violet Blue, kind of an ironic name but Tyler liked her because she was just like her colours, laid-back, relaxed and kind.

“Forgot we were heading home together, did you?” she laughed lightly, her brown eyes getting smaller. Violet Blue, in contrast to her name is actually a beautiful petite black girl who represented her race with everything they were. She was beautiful, curvy, smart, observant, funny, intellectual and very open minded.

“Yeah, sorry.” he shook his head, slinging his bag over his shoulder.

Her brows raised, “Hey, are you okay? You've been quite spaced out all morning” she pointed out. Her pace was much slower than his because Tyler had longer legs and she had to almost jog to keep up, which resulted in Tyler lessening his pace for his friend.

“I've just been thinking” he told her honestly. Tyler saw no reason to hide anything from Violet because she had proved herself trustworthy in the past, present and Tyler knew she'd stay that way in the years to come.

“Aw, about a special someone?” she teased, fake shoving his side. Her curly hair fell in a short wavy afro and a fringe over her eyes.

The thing Tyler liked about Violet was that she kept an open mind and didn't just assume sexualities.

Tyler blushed, looking away, “Not special. Just my brother”

“You didn't tell me you had a brother. Well, other than Max but I have a feeling he isn't who you're talking about” she spoke with a knowing tone in her voice. Tyler liked how easily she figured him out even though most would think it was a bad thing. He liked how he didn't even have to explain himself and she just knew.

Tyler nodded, “His name's Josh. Josh Dun. I told you how my dad was getting married right? Well apparently his fiance had a son. We moved in with them four days ago” he informed her. Violet hadn't been in school for two days because she travelled for the weekend to a remote area and took two days off to rest, so Tyler hasn't really talked to her about it because her phone had no signal.

She nodded in understanding but then looked quizzed, “So why is your older brother, if he's older than you, the reason you've been thinking and being spaced out all day?”

“He is older than me and I've been thinking about him because we went out last night's evening to an arcade and I've never gone before, so I didn't really know how to play so I'm just wondering why he was so patient to teach. I mean, shouldn't he hate me because I stole his mom away from him? I'm so confused” it felt good getting it off his chest to someone he knew and trusted to give him the right advice.

Violet nodded, processing the information, “Have you ever thought that maybe he wanted this. I feel as if you're making a decision for him, trying to be in his shoes but you don't know him enough to do that. Maybe he was mad. Maybe he hated you before you came but when you did, he realised just how lonely it was in the house. Maybe he's a good person, Tyler. Does that make sense?” she asked with a smile.

Tyler nodded his head, of course it made sense. All this while he'd been wondering why Josh didn't hate him because if he were Josh, he'd hate him. But he wasn't Josh and Josh had a mind of his own and could definitely think for himself. Tyler just had to stop worrying.

“Thanks, Blue” he smiled gratefully, feet crunching in the snow.

“No problem, Joseph” they were very close to Violet's house. It was only a block away. Back when Tyler still lived on the other side of town, he always followed her home and then took the route from there to the train and then his old house. It was a lot easier now though, as Laura's house, his new home was a good five blocks away from Violet's and so he didn't have to walk much.

“Bye, Blue. I'll text you?” he asked like he always did even when he knew the answer. He asked this everyday. It was their thing.

“I'll be expecting it, Joseph” she smiled, saying what she always did and went inside.

Violet and Tyler were strange friends but they'd never trade it for anything else. They always had laid-back conversations, not the hyper ones and they always acknowledged each other with their last names, because it was just their thing. They texted everyday unless there was an obstacle and Violet understood Tyler more than most people did.

Her gift to him his last birthday was a new paint set and his gift to her on her last birthday was a painting he'd made of her with the paint set she got him, and it wasn't money or anything expensive, but it meant the world to them.

Because they were the best of friends.

|| - //

Wish I had a friend like Violet. PS, violet and blue are my favourite colours and I'm a black girl so Violet is basically me ahaha x