Insomnia And Instagram Stalking

It was late. The rain was pouring outside, pounding on his window, and with every passing moment Nagisa found the insomnia eating at him more and more.

                  He was on his phone, using it as a method of distracting himself from the heavy weight of his eyelids. Yes, he knew that being on your phone before bed is bad for you and it keeps you awake and blah blah blah, but he for some unknown reason couldn't pry his eyes away from the screen.

                  Maybe that's why you shouldn't use your phone before bed. Yeah, it was probably the reason, but Nagisa just couldn't bring himself to care. The wind howled outside his room anyway, there was no way he'd fall asleep to that.

                 What was he doing, anyway? No, he wasn't working on that overdue project, nor was he working on the one due tomorrow, or if you want to get technical, later that day. He was internet stalking people who actually had their lives at least somewhat together on instagram. 

                 Kaede Kayano, a cute, bubbly, optimistic girl who thought of the world as great place. Yes, her grades might be just as bad as his, but she always managed to keep her chin up when times got hard. Unlike me, who slipped through the cracks and as a result is miserable. +200 followers.

                 Rio Nakamura, a cute jokester with a dark sense of humour. She had been asked out on many occasions, or so she claimed in her story. It made sense though; she was quite pretty. That twinkle in her eyes, the mischievous grin plastered on her face, her long, silky blonde hair. It wasn't a shock that she was popular. +350 followers.

                 Yada Touka, a bitchy girl who managed to get by on looks. She wasn't all that bad, truthfully, but Nagisa was a little sour about her because of how popular she was; both on the internet and in real life. She was definitely pretty, with her big, bright  eyes and a curvy body.  She was every straight boy's dream girl friend.+500 followers.   

                 Then there was Hiroto Maehara, the womanizer who knew he was good looking and used it to his advantage. He was best friends with the class president, which was slightly odd, but no one dared to question it. He mostly posted things about his everyday life, rather than posting about the abnormalities in his routine. +600 followers.

                 Finally there was Karma Akabane, the devil himself. If you asked Nagisa, he was the best (not to mention best looking) out of the five of them. His personality was (slightly) questionable, but wow. Nagisa had never seen someone like him before. With his perfect grades and trademark smirk, he could get whatever he wanted with the snap of his fingers. But that was the best part of him: he did just that. He'd play with you, but once he was done he'd leave you alone and you'd find yourself falling for him even more than before. +1000 followers.

                  Nagisa knew he was in love with the boy, but so many other people were in love with him as well. What chance did he have, a simple nobody that everyone ignores versus those like Yada, who everyone knew and loved? Not to mention his gender.  

                  It would have made his life so much easier if he had been born the right gender. His mom would be happier, and the chances he had with Karma would be increased to 0% instead of 0.0000000000001%. To someone who isn't him, that may not seem like a lot. But to Nagisa, it would be miraculous.

                 Nagisa had confidence issues, that much was apparent. He sighed before returning to his profile, with a grand total of three followers, and zero friends. He was about to turn his phone off and attempt to get at least some sleep, but something happened, something that never, ever happened.