Beauty and the Beast

Nagisa's POV 

I slid open the windows, letting sunlight stream through and brighten the room. I smiled slightly to myself, before grabbing a basket. Before I left, I went downstairs to say hello to my father. He was tinkering with random gadgets, fiddling with cogs and such.

"Hello, father," I said. He jumped slightly in his seat, before turning around to face me. He visibly relaxed and turned back to his work.

"Hello, Nagisa, how are you?" I shook my head, smiling.

"I'm fine. Just heading down to the marketplace for, you know, food." My father nodded thoughtfully.

"Yes, that would be good." 

...............

At the bustling marketplace, people were scrambling around, trying there hardest to bargain with the merchants. Men were in the bar, drinking, despite how early in the morning it was. Ladies crowded around Asano, each begging him to pay attention to her. I scoffed at that, and went on with my shopping.

First things first, though, I went to the library. It was quaint, with only a few shelves of books. I had read them all at least five times, but that never stopped wanting to reread them over and over again. The shop owner noticed me, and shoved a book into my hands.

"It's a new one," he started. "A romance, your favourite." I gave him a smile, before putting the book into my bag.

"See you soon, Koro-sensei." 

I then went on with my regular shopping.I was almost finished, when unfortunately, I had caught someone's eye. Asano almost pushed the girls to the sides, walking over to me with a bouquet of flowers in hand. I scowled; I was in no mood to put up with him this morning. I was here for food, not flowers.

"Nagisa, a center piece for your table," Asano bowed as he handed me the flowers. I rolled my eyes, this was quite a stupid thing to be dealing with in the morning. Asano handed me the flowers, which I hesitantly accepted. I could feel the glares of women.

"Asano, don't you have something better to do? I won't commit to you, and there are plenty of ladies who beg for your attention." He stood up, and gave, me a 'dashing', as the others called it, grin.

"Ah, but I don't want to waste my time on them." I shot him a dirty look.

"Well, don't waste my time, either." And with that, I walked off, heading back home.

...............

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" My father questioned for the hundredth time as he mounted the carriage. It wasn't anything fancy; just a simple wooden one with a large box-like space in the back for my father's gadgets.

"I'll be fine, father, it's you that I'm worried about. If you can't stop worrying about me, then how will you make any sales?" I pushed up one of the boxes he'd be bringing into the back. "I can handle myself."

I smiled once more, and he reluctantly smiled back at me.

"Well then, I must be off."

...............

I busied myself with cleaning the house, not enjoying how messy it was. Thirteen times Asano knocked on the door, and thirteen times I ignored him. I had hoped that he'd given up by now, but apparently, when you're 'in love', you never give up! He knocked for what seemed like the millionth time today, and me, being the now extremely fed up person that I am, slammed open the door exasperatedly, causing him to stumble back and almost fall into the pig trough. I smirked at the surprised expression on his face.