Tomato 12/08/18

I wake up to a crash. I jump out of bed and run into the hall to find my mother at the bottom of the stairs. I run to her side, worried and slightly dizzy from waking up so quickly. "Mom! What happened?!"

She doesn't move, but she's breathing.

I push off of her and grab the house phone to call the ambulance. I dial 911 and wait. I explain to them that my mother is 62 and just fell down the stairs. She's breathing but knocked out. They said they're sending someone right away. I nod though they can't see me. I stay on the line and go back to my mom's side. I leave her be like the lady said and anxiously sit beside her. I soon hear the sirens coming up the street and go to open the door. Two guys hop out and get a stretcher before following me inside to the old woman. They take charge and put her up on the bed and wheel her out to the truck. They let me grab my phone before I get in the back with my mom.

I stay out of the way while they test her vitals and all that. When we get there I fill out all I can until Mom has to do the rest. The doctors take her to the back to do X-rays and MRIs and a bunch more blood tests. I sit in the waiting room texting Nina.

Me: idk she just fell down the stairs. I just woke up to her laying on the ground

Nina: is she ok?

Me: idk they're doing a bunch of tests

Nina: tell me how it goes. I'm sure it's nothing

Me: you're right. thx

Nina: np

I put my phone away only to take it back out in anxiety. Holding something makes me feel centered so I start my game of words. I get a few levels in before the doctor calls out for 'Carson.'

"That's me!" I stand up, shouldering my tears and meeting the man in the white coat by the desk.

"She's awake and stable, but we have horrible news. You might want to sit down," he leads me to the chair that I got up from and kneels in front of me. "Spencer, your mother has been diagnosed with AIDs. There's nothing we can do but lessen the symptoms."

I nod, my mind going blank. "Will she get better?"

He shakes his head solemnly. "She's had it for a while. It's been too long since she should've had treatment. She only has two months to live."

I put a hand over my mouth as the tears start forming. A choking sob escapes me as I try to talk. "She- she's going to die?"

He nods, placing a hand on mine. "The only thing we can do is make her comfortable."

My head shakes, blurring my vision. "But she just fell. She- this isn't- I have no one else!"

He doesn't say anything, just nods and lets me rant.

"Fuck! How am I going to tell my father?! I don't even know where he is!" I start gasping, struggling to breathe. I lay a hand on my chest and the other tangles itself into my thick hair. "Fuck. I can't- I-"

The doctor starts chanting 'breathe' at me like it'll help. My whole world is falling apart. My mother is dying, my father is forever MIA, and I'm not even 18 yet so how am I going to live?!

After about two hours of me hyperventilating, the doctor leads me back to see my mother. I put on a brave smile and sit beside her. The guy told me that I can't get it unless I have sex with her or drink her blood. Or if her blood touches an open wound on me.

"Hi, mom. How's it going?"

She smiles. "Fine, love. Did you hear?"

"What?"

"I'm going to call your father back home tomorrow to help with me."

I nod, though I know he can't be found. "Okay. I'll cook."

She nods, trying to make this normal though we both know it isn't. I sigh, laying my head on her hand. She falls asleep with me.