Tomato 03/08/19

Dear Tomato Mafia,

Today I am 18 and completely free! I mean except for laws and such. I haven't told anyone what today is but Carmen has been acting weird. I hope she's okay. I'm going to the DMV today to get my license updated. I'm ready!

LOL- Spence

I pull out my phone and text Carmen's phone.

Me: I'm going to be late tonight LOL

Carmen: Why are you laughing?

Me: Wym?

Carmen: You put lol

Me: It means 'lots of love'

Carmen: It means 'laugh out loud'

Carmen: Where are you going?

Me: I'll show you tonight

Carmen: Don't be past 8 or I'm locking the door

Me: No you won't, you love me

I immediately regret the last text when she doesn't reply, but it's whatever. I pull into the DMV and get all my stuff done before heading to the nearest pizza place and getting dinner. After that, I head home. I open the door and set the pizzas on the counter, wondering why it's so quiet.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Nin comes running from the back of the house to tackle me with a hug. I catch her and smile.

"How'd you know?!"

"You really thought I didn't look through your Facebook? Ameture mistake," Nina lets me go to show me a cake in the oven. It's store bought but has my name on it in purple icing.

I look up to see Carmen leaning against the door with James holding her hip. His other hand is offering a box to me. I take it and unwrap the cat paper to find a small box. I open it and smile. "You didn't! " I pull out a thin necklace with a small cat on the end. It has a very small light purple stone in the tip of its tail. "Can you help me?" I hold it out to Carmen.

She nods and pulls my hair over my shoulder to clasp it around my neck. When she's finished I turn around, touching it lightly. "So where did you go?"

I pull out my new license. "To get this updated!"

She takes it and smiles. "Nice. I think you're the only person I know that can make these pictures look great."

I blush lightly and turn around to see Nina cutting the cake. "Oo, chocolate and vanilla! How did you know?"

Carman answers before Nina could. "You always ask for chocolate shakes and I always see you eating vanilla flavored cupcakes."

"Awe, you know me so well!"

"Ew, get a room," Nina hands us each a plate. We all go sit down, James at Carman's feet, me next to Carman, and Nina beside me.

I think this is the only time I've ever had a gathering like this on my birthday. I never really celebrated it before today. Mom would always be too drunk or caught up in David drama to even remember I existed. I didn't even have to tell these people that I just met a few months ago that I'm turning a whole year older. They just took it upon themselves to look it up and make it a surprise. I'm so thankful for these people. God, whatever I did to deserve this, thank you!