Chapter 6: Finding Clues

Ritwik ~ Doorway to Awareness

He flipped through "The Power of Now" by Eckart Tolle; every word hit him hard; he had wasted many years of his life rather the beautiful phase of his life stuck in the past. He never sought answers, nor did he take the problem by the head, he only believed what was told to him. His rational analytical mind seems to get completely numbed when it came to his family, even little Shivam had more sense than him. After coming back, he missed Shivam the most who was more often than  not, his conscience keeper.

Ritwik got down to detailing his business plan about providing access to cheaper medicines and affordable healthcare to the masses. He had the Operations and Marketing Framework detailed and needed the IT backbone to execute it. He was breathing life into Palak's dream which eventually became his and if it worked he was sure she would come out of where she was and hold his hand. Unknown to him, Palak was breathing life into two little ones which they had co-created during one of those nights of love and passion who were raring to see life. He drifted off into one of those moments that made him feel warm and fuzzy in his otherwise cold life and he  was shaken out of his reverie as he uttered "Palak"

Palak in her Room:

Palak was sleepless that night and heartache was too much to bear. She cried into the pillow remembering the words she had told Ritwik. She missed him so badly that she could hear him call her out. She wanted to know how he was, whether he was happy at home, did he start working, did he still drink like there is no tomorrow? On one hand she felt guilty that he did not know about the children growing in her and on the other she was scared of his family. 

Ritwik  in Noon Biotech

Ritwik had started going to Noon Biotech but kept out of the major projects. His heart was in his start up so he oversaw some of the Financials. He realised that Rishabh was siphoning off money with the help of some staff. One moment he wanted to bring it to his father's attention and the next he decided to keep quiet since they would not believe him. All he wanted was to find Palak and seek his answers. 

3 Weeks later

Geeta and Tim

India was an experience for Tim who was visiting for the Ist time. The sounds, smells and color enthralled his senses. He was looking forward to meeting Geeta his last subject for his documentary. She ran a support group in America of cancer survivors, patients and their families. He had met her fleetingly when she visited Jemma but never got to hear her story. 

Over finest Darjeeling Tea; Geeta and Tim spoke about cancer and what it takes to be a survivor. She was short and petite; spartanly dressed and very unlike the Indian women he had interacted with in America and even in India. She was sporty; still ran a mile or two every morning; did her yoga religiously and did not miss her weekly session of Fencing or game of Tennis to keep fit. She opened her heart out to this boy from overseas; as she spoke about her journey; the son she left behind and her life after that. While Dr Raheja had been able to heal her he had himself succumbed to the deadly disease a few years after Vikrant was born. Geeta and Tim shared the same pain of love and loss; circumstances that shaped their lives and views. Little did Geeta realise that she had actually found a way to reach her much loved Ritwik in the most legitimate way, one that would need no explanation.

Ritwik gets a Clue on Geeta

Ritwik visited City Hospital with Robin; to take feedback on Exigen as well as speak to Dr Raman about his start up. Dr Raman was very concerned about maintaining donor records for rare blood groups. He asked Ritwik ways to digitize it and reach out to donors at the earliest during emergency. Ritwik volunteered to get it sorted and also include his name in the list for AB- ; while signing the register he noticed the earlier donor was Mrs Geeta Raheja, Age 53; last donated on the date he was operated. His hands were numb; it could not have been a co-incidence. He asked the nurse if she knew this lady. At that moment another nurse popped by and enquired about his health and Palak. She said that Geeta Raheja is a very kind lady who not only brought him to hospital when he was injured but also donated blood the next day for him. His head started spinning; why would his mother who deserted him many years ago come back to give blood; he was sure Palak knew and so did his family and no one told him about it. 

He went home that day and joined the Noon Family at the dining table. Their banter started to bother him these days and he found everything his father said very sarcastic. He bluntly asked his dad and Mamta whether they knew who donated blood for him in hospital ? Vijay and Mamta looked at each other bewildered. Vijay said Geeta had indeed donated blood and threatened the entire family; that woman has no class so he prevented her from meeting Ritwik. Mamta gave a blank look at father and son. Reeva and Rishabh protested and told off Ritwik saying he creates a problem all the time and makes dad unhappy. Ritwik silently got up and informed them that he was off to Rishikesh the following day with Tim

Noon Family Banter

Vijay was concerned that Ritwik would become a Sanyasi (monk) so they should better hurry up and do something about him.  Mamta coldly told Rishabh to prepare Ritwik and Palak's divorce papers and Reeva insisted on Annie for Ricky. Aman was completely uncomfortable with all this conversation and stood up to go. 

The new boy in the kitchen staff was super efficient while he cleaned up the dining table. He was already Mamta's favorite and trusted.  He recorded all the conversation in his head while he was clearing the table. Mamta instructed him to go and give the pills to Ricky along with a bowl of ice cream. He did go up to find Ricky stretched out on his bed lost in thought. He pocketed the pills wrapped them neatly in a paper and texted someone.

...................................................................................................................................