Chapter 23: Settling Down

Ritwik barely slept that night; trying to piece the happenings. He was sure that it had nothing to do with Rishabh, Saachi, Reeva and they just added to the irritation at most. He had already ruled out Daadi, Taari, Shivam, Shanaya and Aman since they were his support system, his strength. That left only dad and mom in the radar. Mom ...no it cant be; while she did not support as much as she could have but with the cyclic drug that he was given and her non chalant behavior at the mention of Palak made him a little doubtful. He was pretty sure it had to do with dad seeing Palak's extreme reactions that day. He needed to get going on this fast before further damage. 

Morning After 

His alarm beeped at 5am; and he very groggily woke up staggering to the restroom. He woke up Palak and asked her to get ready since the rains had subsided to a light drizzle. She took some time to get her bearings right and struggled with the saree which she occasionally donned. He helped her with it and realised that it is morning and she did look very much disheveled and tired. He covered her with his coat and led her out to the reception. They sipped green tea while waiting for the valet to hand over the car. 

The valet greeted Ritwik with "Sir aap" and greeted Palak with a namaste. Palak immediately recognized him as the security guard of the building in which they lived in Delhi.  He mumbled that he is from Uttarakhand and he shifted to his job from Delhi to be closer home and live with his family. He went on to say "Aapka amanaat hai mere paas; har din Badri Vishal se prarthana kiya; aap bas mil jaao to mein saup dnu, aap log ek din achanak ghar chod diya; mauka nahi mila" Both Palak and Ritwik could not make out what it was ; but Ritwik was very keen to see, to know to get a clue if any. Before Palak could react, he gave Pradeep Ghildiyal his phone no and office address and asked him to come and meet him. 

On the way back home; both were lost in thought about what the "amanaat" was; Palak thought it may be a picture; some item left behind at home while Ritwik thought whether he could get a clue from there; if that would help him to close on the truth. They entered home with the spare key they had and found everyone fast asleep. Palak's mom was on their bed next to the twins; her dad on the drawing room settee and Geeta in Palak's parents room. Palak went into her room to change while Ritwik rested on the drawing room sofa. He realised the need for a bigger house if they continued to stay in Chandigarh and drifted off. He was jolted out his reverie with the sound of the morning newspaper banging on the door and it awakened Manjeet to get off the bed and make breakfast. She was embarrassed to find Palak's dad snoring on the settee while the son-in-law was uncomfortably seated on the sofa with the newspaper. 

Ritwik tried to wake up Palak after a while but she refused to budge curling within her blanket. He had no option but to let loose the twins on her who had a field day pulling her hair, kissing her face and climbing all over her. Ritwik laughed at the sight thinking they were indeed his daughters. Palak finally sat up and hugged the two munchkins telling them that "Papa will go away to Delhi soon then it will be me only; so dahlings don't trouble Mamma ok"  Ritwik smiled and told Palak that he is at the beck and call of his daughters so not to threaten them at all; he can box his way through her Taekwondo Skills. 

At the breakfast table, Ritwik broached the topic of a bigger house and jokingly told Manjeet that he had no wish to be a "Ghar Jamai"  though after marriage he went through a phase of being "House Husband" thanks to several people.  Everyone laughed at the mother-in-law and son-in-law banter and Geeta was pleased that after her Manjeet will take care of her son; may be not in the most polished way but will always seek his happiness. Geeta requested Ritwik to get passports done for Manjeet and Palak's dad as well so that they could come visit her in America. Manjeet was so thrilled at the idea that she started dreaming from that moment onwards. 

Getting Comfortable with Each Other

Geeta left for Delhi post lunch and it was Ritwik's turn for a siesta besides the twins. Palak was sorting out clothes, toys and other stuff in the room occasionally glancing at the sleeping Ritwik. She could not take her eyes off him ; he looked like an innocent baby when he slept but his dark circles were getting more prominent with all the hard work and lack of sleep. After a while when Ritwik woke up he found Palak singing aloud 

Jisko Duaon mein Maanga ; Tu Hai wohi rehnuma . Tere bina mushkil hai ; ik bhi kadam chalna

He stood up; held her from behind with his chin on her shoulder and twirled her around ..."So Mrs Palak Noon ; you finally accepted that I Ritwik Noon is your Rehnuma; showing you the way and you find it difficult to take a step without me. How nice is that " 

"Ahahaha Ritwik Noon ; khud ki taareef ka pul bandhna to koi aap se seekhe" said Palak; running her fingers from the forehead down his nose and lovingly pushed him away. 

That evening they took the kids for a long drive ; it was a family moment for them for the first time. Palak sat at the back  in the middle of two girls strapped to their car seats with her hands touching both and Ritwik had to drive real slow like a responsible father. They briefly stopped for some street food and Ritwik complained to Palak that her mother will all the ghee and butter was out to make sure he became a golu and he wanted to get back to his soups and salads indirectly hinting to her to start taking care of his diet. She knew where he was getting to and gave a knowing smile mentioning that the thick friendship between Ritwik and Manjeet was already cracking under the pressure of food. 

Next Day ~ In Anticipation of the Amanaat

It was a normal day at work and Ritwik had made it clear that he will go early and come late and take a longish break in the afternoon to come and spend time with the girls. She would continue with her regular timings so that both of them gave attention to the girls and family time would be only in the weekends. They maintained a professional distance at work so that others did not feel uncomfortable. 

That afternoon Ritwik received a call from Pradeep Ghildiyal who was standing outside his office. Since he was busy with the kids, he asked Palak to take him in and wait until he returns from home. Ritwik wanted to stay with his girls for some more time but he suddenly became restless and left for work. He rushed to his cabin to find Pradeep taking out a packet from his cloth bag and then unwrapping many layers. Ritwik was shocked since he immediately recognized what he saw and Palak was blank not sure how to react....