Chapter 25: Truth Hurts

Palak:

Palak stood by the half closed door to see off Ritwik. The eastern sky was streaked in orange with the rising sun and she looked beautiful under the first rays of the sun. He told her to take care pulling her cheek before seating himself in the car and Palak rewarded him with a beaming smile and a flying kiss as he drove out.  She walked back in towards her cupboard and pulled out an old diary. The worn out cover was nearly 10 years old but it was her closest friend with whom she shared her sorrows and sometimes joy. On her father's advise she started writing after losing Akshay to overcome her grief and then it became a habit to note down her feelings every time she felt low. Life is so strange that in sorrow we can fill out pages with our emotions but in happiness it is generally a line or two as explained by PB Shelley "Our Sweetest Songs are those that tell of saddest thought". This morning she felt different; she wanted to write about her happiness. She did not turn the pages backward as she generally did and just wrote what came to her mind; about Ritwik; her daughters and their future. The diary was then tucked away where it was, within the layers of old clothes in her cupboard to be opened on yet another day.

Ritwik in Office:

Robin handed over documents and pictures about Rishabh as soon as Ritwik walked into office from the investigation done by "Hide n Seek" agency. He went through the details and was not surprised with what Rishabh was upto. Rishabh was seen in the intimate company of a lady and Ritwik could not place her at all though she appeared vaguely familiar. Aman dropped by late afternoon with the details of the financial irregularities. There were 2 fictitious companies apparently engaged with Noon Biotech for market research and non core research who were regularly being paid hefty sums of money. The companies did exist on paper only since the addresses in which they were registered turned out to be vague residential addresses. Ritwik showed Aman the other evidences and both of them were pretty much convinced that one of those companies was related to this woman and the other was something to do with Rishabh and Saachi. Ritwik kept all the documents in his office under lock and key and instructed Aman and Robin to now keep a watch on Saachi as well. Ritwik grinned to himself and plotted his next step to expose Rishabh. 

Ritwik and Mamta

Everyone in Noon House was busy choosing jewelry for Reeva's impending marriage when Ritwik sauntered in with Aman the evening. He plonked between his grandmother and Taari, started looking at stuff with Palak in mind. He noticed Mamta selecting designs with diamonds and casually asked her if she ever wore the earring that he had gifted her on her 50th Birthday. She was taken aback but quickly gathered herself and replied "Of course Beta, it is close to my heart so I have kept it in the locker safely" knowing fully well that she had lost one of them that night and could not remember where. Ritwik asked her to get it from the locker and wear it once for his sake and Mamta nodded her head. Ritwik was pretty sure it was not in the locker and even if it was; Mamta would try to get a replica made so he would have to watch out closely. 

Ritwik and Vijay

Just then Reeva asked Ritwik to help Ananya choose something too with a sly smile and Ritwik quipped if Ananya was also getting hitched in a rather sarcastic tone. Ananya glared back at Ritwik and before she could say anything his father Vijay asked him to stop idling with ladies and speak to him like a man. Mamta sensed the heated exchange that would follow from there on and asked them to retreat to the library closely followed by Rishabh. Mamta wound up with the jewelers and walked to the library to be with the trio. 

Vijay threw the divorce papers down the table and asked Ritwik to sign who vehemently opposed and attempted to tear it apart but stopped for a minute. He gave a piercing glance to Rishabh; looked at Mamta and then told his dad in a stern voice "Divorce to hogi; kab aur kiski, time will tell" . Mamta was shaken to her bones, the color drained from her face thinking if Ritwik was hinting at her and Vijay;  Rishabh was perplexed wondering if Ritwik had any clue of his recent dalliance. Vijay did not understand the undertones of the conversation and cursed Palak for having ruined Ritwik while she was with him and continuing to do so even after choosing another man over him. 

Ritwik could not take it any longer and asked Vijay what business Puri Uncle have following him and dreaming of Ananya's marriage with him? It sounded like an ego trip of his trying to seal a business deal with you dad. Ricky!!! Vijay screamed at the top of his voice reminding him that he should be thankful that someone like Ananya was still willing to consider him. Ritwik cynically retorted that why Mr Puri was so keen on a second hand Ritwik Noon for his accomplished daughter; smells of a gold digger in Puri Uncle eh.  Ananya and Reeva walked towards the room since the commotion could be heard as far as the drawing room. They could hear all that was going on inside and Ananya was in tears when Ritwik walked out. 

Ritwik and Ananya Show Down

Ritwik followed Ananya as she was leaving and asked her to sit down. Listen Ananya; I did insult you in the past and I deeply regret that but I did tell you more than once that love is not what binds me to you. Palak accepted me for what I was; she never asked me about my past and my several girlfriends was always a joke between us. You were conscious of my past; you mentioned my past many a times ; sometimes in passing, sometimes seriously. I was doing a favour to my parents by agreeing to marry you and you were doing me a favor because of my past. Conditional relationships don't survive the test of time and am glad I saved ourselves from that burden.  You accepted my relationship with Palak, you remained close to us , you helped us but somewhere you wanted to just see me in front of your eyes. Now that I have split from her you are clinging to a remote ray of hope. 

You are a rocking girl; I respect you but today I am not insulting you; its your dad and my dad who are doing it for reasons unknown to me. Give yourself time to heal; go back to your career; your world ; when did marriage become the ultimate goal in your life? I was, am and will remain your well wisher and ever be grateful to you for everything you have done for me. Don't sacrifice your today for something that will never happen. With tearful eyes, she looked up and said "You are right Ricky; I have lost my spunk !! " and walked away. 

Mamta overheard the conversation and realised that this Ricky is different from what he was, this one will not bend or break for the sake of family any more, this one knows what he wants, may be Geeta or maybe he has rediscovered Palak or maybe someone else who has deeply influenced him and got him back on his feet... She sensed the storm that would unleash that neither Vijay and Rishabh were realizing while needling Ritwik. 

Ritwik and Palak

Ritwik whistled his way to his room and shut the door. He wanted to talk to Palak in peace since they had not spoken during the day barring exchanging a few messages and that too work related. The conversation largely figured around the girls since a day away from them felt like aa month for him. How quickly one graduates from being just lovers to parents. 

Palak asked him if all was good at home specially after overhearing the conversation between Ritwik and his dad the previous evening. He assured her in a calm and cool voice that there was nothing new and drama is a part of his life so she should just chill. He wanted to share the happenings of the eventful day with her but that would be best done in person. He teased her for missing him to lighten the mood and a few cozy romantic exchanges followed. Finally, she asked him if he was forgetting something that was coming up. He laughed and told her; he is Ritwik Noon; never never forgets....