Chapter 16: An Emotional Re-Union

Ritwik woke up late next morning when Robin called. There was no message from Tim yet but Vikrant had sent a message with a resume of a Mrs Rani Khanna who was working with Archaic Pharma and was looking for an opening in Chandigarh. She seemed like an able administrator and would complement Palak perfectly. Ritwik forwarded it to Robin and asked him to set up a meeting with Mrs Khanna. 

At work; he pored through data; he responded to mails, calls but frequently checked his phone for a response from Tim. He almost sent a reminder to Tim but decided to be patient. He decided to disclose his relationship with Geeta to Tim only after meeting her. He was so restless that he took an hours break from work and walked into a children's store in a nearby mall. Ananya, Reeva and Saachi  were passing by and spotted Ritwik in the store fidgeting through children's clothing. On coming face to face with them he tried to conceal his excitement and told the ladies he was here to shop for Rohit's baby. The women grinned seeing the cute baby girl clothes in his hand and asked him to keep it away till the baby was born. 

He cursed his timing and walked away sheepishly only to visit another mall and pick up the same clothes from for his Rhea and Piya. 

That night he received a message from Tim that Mrs Geeta Raheja had kindly agreed to meet him at 8am two days later over breakfast. She is a stickler for time and he should keep that in mind. He felt a weakness in his legs in anticipation of meeting his mother after 22 years; he wanted to just talk to someone and wanted to pick up the phone and dial Palak ; instead it was Aman, his all weather friend, his conscience keeper. 

Ritwik and Aman

Ritwik and Aman went on a long drive towards their favorite dhaba. Over plates of Tandoori Chicken and Beer they discussed life, friends and family. The topic moved on to Reeva and Jus Khurana when he saw Aman's expressions change. Ritwik asked Aman if he was trapped in an one sided love affair while Aman asked Ritwik if he had really moved on from Palak and did not know her whereabouts ? Aman nodded Yes without revealing the name and Ritwik told the truth that he knew where Palak was but had not confronted her yet. Both friends realised the complete truth though only half was spoken. 

PR Associates Interviews

Mrs Rani Khanna was on board within a few minutes of her conversation and Ritwik asked her to get on board anyone else she thought perfect for the role. She quickly named Dr Palak Sharma who was now in Chandigarh on maternity leave and may be keen to join. Ritwik gave her a free hand to recruit field staff and also convince Dr Palak Sharma to join. That night he typed out an offer letter for Palak that she would not be able to refuse and sent to the mail id that Mrs Khanna had shared. 

Ritwik and Geeta ~ An Emotional Re-Union

Ritwik tucked in his shirt; adjusted his coat and took a deep breath before walking towards Raheja House. He rehearsed the speech over and over again in his head that he would give to Mrs Geeta Raheja. The security ushered him to the garden after he identified himself as the representative from Rainbow Advertising and Marketing. A few minutes later Geeta walked in; asking what he would like to have, the words stuck on her lips when she looked up to see Ritwik. 

He stood up to hug his mother but his hands would not move. She took two steps ahead and kept looking at the towering frame in front of her; the little Ricky was all of 30 and a father himself. After the initial awkwardness they hugged; Ricky could feel the wetness on his chest and Geeta could sense the outpouring on her shoulder. She excused herself for 10 minutes and came back with two tall glasses of mango shake. Ritwik was overwhelmed that she still knew his choices and one sip into the glass the familiar taste of 22 years engulfed his taste buds. Geeta watched over her first born as he relished his mango shake and narrated how he used to pester for it every day when they had limited means. Life is so strange that when she had the means they were distanced and she could not serve him his favorite stuff so she punished herself by not having mangoes or mango shake . Ritwik looked at her in shocked disbelief !!

Over the next 3 hours, mother and son spoke about the days gone by over tears and laughter. She played the videos that entertained her when she missed him, she showed him the pictures of the birthday cakes that she baked over the years for him with Vikrant cutting it most of the time. She apologized to him for using Palak after their marriage; partly to help them and most importantly to reach him. Ritwik had a hollow feeling inside thinking of the hard time Palak went through trying to keep this secret away from him and then trying to convince him and him pushing her away. 

Ritwik believed his dad so blindly that he never tried to think , reason or figure out. He regretted all his deplorable behavior with women based on a false notion. He saw pictures of Vikrant and his dad Dr Raheja who seemed to be an amiable gentleman. While Ricky grew up with many people around him and hatred for his mother, Vikrant led a very isolated life in America far from family but with lots of love for his half brother Ritwik thanks to Geeta. 

Ritwik  took leave that afternoon after tasting his mother's special Rajma Chawal cooked with much love. He realised that his mother was around Palak right through her pregnancy to her child birth; she was the one who he found familiar in all those pictures and could never place why. He asked her why she went away after donating blood to save him; she knew the answer but did not want to reveal to him as yet. Just before leaving Ritwik asked Geeta "What made you conclude that Mamta mom would love me more than you ? Geeta looked on in stunned silence. 

He felt light in his head as he drove back to his office. For the first time he felt pity for his dad for not trying to understand. Robin gave him the good news that Mrs Khanna had spoken to Palak and was trying to convince and this seemed the right time to shoot off an offer. Ritwik logged into the company mail id and clicked the send button on the draft mail to Palak. 

Irresistible Offer from PR Associates 

Palak got off the phone with her old colleague Mrs Khanna who was soon relocating to Chandigarh and was raving about this new start up and the boss that she was joining. She informed Palak that she had shared her details and they would get in touch with her too. After a while she checked her mail to find the offer letter and the figures were too good to be true. It was not about money alone but the job profile also seemed to be god-send; something she always wanted to do; it was as if someone had heard her dreams and drafted it out perfectly.

She discussed with her mom and dad who were eager that she take it up but Palak was hesitant; she wanted to discuss with Geeta Maa, who had stood by her like a rock in the last few months. Palak sent out the offer to Geeta wanting to speak to her as a daughter would do with her mother and not as an employee and boss. Geeta smiled at the offer and the mail and dialled Palak. While she had this urge to tell Palak about her greatest joy she swallowed it and very enthusiastically asked Palak to take up the new offer as a new beginning !! 

Palak replied to the mail offer and very professionally listed out her doubts, queries and asked for an audience with the Boss before she accepted the offer. Ritwik smiled reading her queries on mail and concluded that his wife Palak would never change even if the world went upside down...