Chapter 36: Heart is not a Fool after All

Ritwik was restless wondering what could have gone wrong for Palak to be so distraught on phone since she was unreachable after that. He had all kinds of thoughts in his head and with trembling fingers , he dialed Pradeep who assured him that all was okay and in control "Mam theek hai, Aap bas aa jaiyye" . Palak hugged Ritwik as soon as he stepped into the cabin in Rajeha Hospital, Chandigarh and cried her heart out. She was so incoherent that Ritwik was unable to piece what went wrong since he had never seen her in such a state before and his heart was sinking.

Sheela had breathed her last within hours of gaining consciousness after delivering a healthy baby boy. She handed over her son to Palak and asked her to take care of him. Palak was so emotional that she agreed to adopt him without discussing with Ritwik and was completely distraught wondering about his reaction. He heard her out; looked at her, wiped her tears and said "Dil Hi Toh Hai ; kab kya kar jaaye uspe dimaag ki nahi chaalti" ; his heart was pounding since he was least expecting this and he knew that this was perhaps one of the toughest and most difficult decision of his life. Not that he did not believe in it; just that both of them were unprepared and so were their families.

"What would you have done Palak if I had taken this decision without consulting you ?" ; She stopped, looked at him and said "I would have accepted it with my whole heart". "Ok ; then why should my reaction be any different" Ritwik smiled and gave her a glass of water. He told her "Somethings are meant to be; destiny as they say since Sheela delivered early and on a day when you were visiting." When Ritwik and Palak were thinking of another child little did they know that someone up there was plotting a different story for them.

Adopting the Baby

All he wanted to do was make sure that they completed all paperwork as governed by law and formally adopt the child. The local police who were already on the case co-operated since the dying declaration of the mother was supreme; local branch of CARA (Central Adoption Resource Authority) was informed and all paper work initiated. Infact, they would receive his birth certificate with their names as parents so they had to decide a name for the baby and submit the application the next day.

Ritwik requested Pradeep to visit Sheela's village where her blind father-in-law resided since he wanted to move him to a care home so that the man who gave his young son away in service to the nation did not live a life of neglect. He sent a message to Manjeet and Aman that all was well and Palak is fine wanting to surprise them. He sent a message to Geeta and Vikrant about the new addition to the family and Geeta speed dialed him in happiness. She expressed her joy and pride that her son stood up to his duty; listened to his heart and decided to give life to a helpless little one.

Ritwik Gets Emotional

Finally they got some time with each other while the baby boy was wrapped up and sleeping peacefully in his crib; unknown to him that his fate had changed. You know Palak "Is baar naam main rakhunga". He stood near the crib and whispered "Vansh ; Vansh Sharma Noon" . Palak had tears in her eyes watching Ritwik and imagining what he would have done holding Rhea and Piya at birth. She started feeling extremely guilty to have kept him away from the joy of anticipation of being a father, of caring for her and his unborn children and missing the first few months of their lives, all for a promise which at hindsight seemed so meaningless.

He turned around and said "We have a huge responsibility now Palak, giving shape to someone's dream, someone's hope and last wish ;Lance Naik Sachin Sharma gave his life protecting our borders while his own family suffered. We slept in peace and wove stories of a loving future about ourselves and our families; the least that we can do Palak is take care of Sheela's and his dream; their Vansh as our Vansh. Keep their pictures and address carefully, someday if Vansh so feels, he can go in search of his roots"