Chapter 27: Sons and Daughters

Geeta with her Sons

Vikrant was very categoric that he was only 24 and it was too early to get engaged or married. Yes he was dating Navya for 4 years, they liked each other but both of them had not yet decided to take the next step towards commitment. Ritwik could not say much since he had married when he had crossed 30 and at 24 he was completely foot loose and fancy free. Geeta looked at Ritwik expectantly but he was as helpless in front of Vikrant's logic. Geeta tried some sentimental blackmail on Vikrant but he told her; lets go to the doctor mom and figure out whats up with you. Everytime your health is on the tender side; you start dreaming of something absurd. This side of Vikrant was a revelation for Ritwik ; he was cool and assertive and far more mature for his age which left him impressed. Was it the Raheja genes or was it Geeta's upbringing he wondered. 

When the chances of convincing seemed remote; Geeta took out a letter that Dr Raheja had written to Geeta but never shared with her ; maybe he forgot; maybe it was his untimely death but she discovered it between his documents when she was cleaning up the other day. It was written 12 years ago when Ritwik was in Pre-Med and he imagined that both Ritwik and Vikrant would be doctors and asked Geeta to help them open a hospital where they could offer affordable care at least cost. Ritwik asked his mother how Dr Raheja knew about his joining Pre-Med in the US and Geeta gave a knowing smile and said "I knew each and everything about you Ricky; and Vicky has grown up hearing your stories. You were his role model for academic brilliance"

Ritwik was stunned hearing his mother and then mentioned that so what if we both did not get across Medical School; Palak will make up for it. Infact, in the future plan of PR Healthcare she has included low cost hospital. Both he and Vikrant agreed to discuss it between themselves and then with Palak. It was as if Palak came into Ritwik's life to fulfill Dr Raheja's dream. Ritwik was so touched that someone he had never met actually thought of him and his future as much as he did for his own son. Geeta smiled to herself thinking of her plan when Ritwik was inviting Vikrant to be there for the Ist birthday of Piya, Rhea and PR Healthcare. 

Vijay with his Sons and Daughter

Ritwik tried to be normal and invited everyone for PR Healthcare Ist anniversary in Chandigarh about a month away. His grandmother asked him to celebrate in Delhi itself since she was not well enough to travel. He joked with his grandmother and told her that she would be ready to run after the rocking celebration imagining her joy after seeing his daughters. Mamta tried to smile very sure that Ritwik had something up his sleeve while Vijay scowled ; both Saachi and Reeva appeared dis-interested while Rishabh was sarcastic though he was curious to know what he was upto.

Ritwik with his Daughters

Ritwik made a quick trip to US in the interim to further his projects and returned with bag full of toys and clothes for his daughters. When he finally reached his home in Chandigarh his tiredness and exhaustion vanished in a jiffy. Two tiny bullets came charging at him and this time stood up straight holding his legs trying to touch his hands. He bent down kissing them and held their tiny hands and Rhea, Piya took their first step. It was such a moment of joy that he asked Manjeet to shoot a video and send it to Palak who was busy at work. When he opened his bags, they quickly found their positions in them and were overjoyed to find teddy's, dolls and colorful blocks and most importantly their doting dad. Ritwik made sure they had their diapers on else all the shopping would head to the laundry first instead of the cupboards.

He made them wear the shoes he had got; that squeaky ones and they had a great time stomping their foot on his thigh; on his back and gurgled away ignoring Palak's mother who wanted them to have their juice. Ritwik happily clicked their pictures and sent it to Palak just so that she gets irritated and gives him a lecture on spoiling them which would be music to his ears. After some play time; jet lag started catching up with him and the two brats crept into his arms on the bed and all three of them slept peacefully leaving the room in complete disarray. 

 Palak came in early and found the trio in their la la land and started organizing the room and calculating how many dollars he has spent on the girls. They had money flowing in but still Ritwik needed to be given a reality check at times. She was happy that Rhea and Piya had taken their first step in his presence, her guilt of keeping him away for a year chipped away a wee bit that evening. In conversation, Ritwik told Palak that he had invited his Noon khandaan to Chandigarh for the kids birthday in the pretext of PR anniversary but daadi is insisting to hold the event in Delhi so that she can attend. Palak was fine with the idea though a bit worried about how Ritwik's dad and Mamta would react but she was happy that she could visit Delhi with her daughters and meet her old friends. 

Geeta with her Sons and Grand Daughters

Around 10 days before their birthday; Geeta informed Ritwik that she did not want to meet the Noons and if possible would want to celebrate his success and the kids birthday early. Ritwik had no option but to agree and they had a home party and picnic with Geeta and Vikrant. 

Vikrant and Palak were facing each other for the first time since act and were initially awkward. To ease out the situation; Ritwik looked at them and then at Geeta and suggested "Maa; Vikrant listens to Palak blindly infact she commands him and he obliges so let her do the job for you and get him engaged" ; Vikrant was shy and Palak was blushing and she gave Ritwik a pat on his back to mildly reprimand him. Vikrant clearly responded that this time he was only listening to his heart and would not get bullied by bhai or bhabhi or maa. He had all of them and two munchkins to play with and so much work to do that marriage is the last thing on his mind. 

The kids enjoyed cutting their carrot cake though it was their father's favorite and then they wanted to play with Vikrant's beard and his glasses rather than the toys. Vikrant clicked lots of pictures with his new DSLR camera and some were truly frame worthy specially the one with Ritwik and his daughters and the one which had Geeta, Palak and the two munchkins. Geeta browsed through the pictures and was very emotional not knowing when she would see them next and if at all she would. Palak sensed something was wrong with Geeta, but Ritwik being Ritwik had a long way to go to understand subtleties and kept ignoring all the hints inspite of Palak nudging him a few times.

Fathers Sons and Company

It was business as usual in Noon Biotech, Archaic Pharma and PR Healthcare and Ritwik reached work very early that day oblivious of the fact that his life would change in the next few hours. It was breakfast time at Noon Mansion when Vijay got a call, he stood up from his chair and opened the newspaper. On the other side; Ritwik received a slew of phone calls and with a shocked expression he quickly browsed through the news sites. Vijay slumped in the sofa as if he was about to get a heart attack and the whole family rushed towards him with Rishabh reading the news and color drained from his face.  Vikrant sat like a zombie in his cabin in Archaic Pharma office clutching 3 envelopes while the lawyers briefed him on next steps. After gathering himself Ritwik dialed a number with trembling fingers and it was switched off....