Chapter 31: Love, Remorse and Celebration

Palak called Ritwik who was busy at work and updated him on Reeva's wish. He enthusiastically told her there was nothing to ask ; just go get her home. Palak hesitantly told him that she will not be able to adjust in her parent's home in Delhi so they could straight away go to Chandigarh with the kids. Ritwik put his foot down and categorically told her that his daughters' will turn 1 only once in their life time and the party is on, everyone has been invited, arrangements have been made so Palak better accept it. "Kuch dinon se main tumhe bulldozer lag raha hnu , but there is no compromise on certain things sweet heart. Reeva will be fine, you relax".  He asked Aman to arrange for a serviced apartment so that Reeva could spend a few days with them as per her wish. 

Reeva with Palak and Twins 

Palak and Aman got the twins and Reeva to the serviced apartment so that they could spend time with each other. Reeva was still weak and the twins observed her from far while they jumped on Aman the very minute they met. Palak laughed off as their preference for men but the truth is children have an uncanny ability to sense energy of adults. Ritwik tried cheering up Reeva by introducing the twins to her and engaging them in some play but jealousy struck Palak's cubs the moment they spotted Reeva leaning on their dad's arms and he was stroking her hair to console. They came charging and took their positions on his lap pushing Reeva away by biting her fingers leaving everyone in splits. Ritwik was left with no option but to retreat to the bed-room because Rhea and Piya were getting cranky seeking undivided attention from him. 

Reeva tried to divert her mind listening to Aman and Palak banter but her eyes were overflowing. Palak immediately noticed that and sat next to her and stroked her back to calm her. In a muzzled voice Reeva uttered the most important words "Please forgive me" !! Palak hugged her and said that even she gave it back to her during each of those outbursts ; so guess they never understood each other due to their pre-conceived notions. Aman realised that the ladies were getting emotional and excused himself for the night.

Palak explained to her that suicide should be the last option for anyone; it's one life and why give it up for someone who does not value us. They spoke at length and in conversation Reeva realised that the fundamental difference between them was not financial but their views on life which forced Reeva to remain someone's daughter, someone's sister but Palak had an identity of her own, a goal to achieve, the will to live. No one in Reeva's family ever suggested, encouraged or inspired her to do something; it was just taken for granted that she will get married into some rich family someday. Palak knew what she wanted, she knew her strengths, she was not limited by her limitations to pursue her dream and Reeva felt so shallow realizing that she did not even know if she had any talent, any strength or any quality ; no wonder Jus treated her so cheaply !! Palak offered to be with Reeva in her room so that she did not feel lonely but Reeva smiled and asked her to be with bhai and babies since they have all had a roller coaster ride since 2 days. 

Palak found no place for herself on the bed occupied by the father and daughters and was going back to the drawing room couch when Ritwik pulled her towards him. He hugged and thanked her for her presence of mind in hospital and taking care of Reeva inspite of all the past bad blood and planted a kiss on her lips before she could say anything. She mustered a lot of courage and confided in him about the interaction with Mamta which stiffened his muscles and he clenched  his teeth. He held her tight and told her "Thank You for  NOT being Baba Palakanand and sacrificing me and our daughters once more ; looks like you remembered your vows and finally imbibed some good qualities from Ritwik Noon" 

Reeva did not feel like getting off bed next morning since she was depressed but the commotion outside the room with Palak and Ritwik arguing playfully over their kids; discussing work and laughing on Manjeet who had just arrived with lots of food made her feel alive. She had never seen this kind of couple camaraderie at home between her parents or Rishabh and Saachi since professional lives were out of bounds for the ladies at home. Both Ritwik and Palak looked up to each other and complemented one another beautifully right from parenting to work and family.  It slowly started to sink in why Annie was never a fit for Ritwik, she was judgmental about him but Palak accepted him with her whole heart; celebrating the good and delicately nudging him on the not so good. She stepped out to wish them as they were leaving and had a long day ahead with Manjeet and the kids.