Chapter 35: Some Cracks are Healing

Twins Bond with Noon's

Palak stopped in her tracks with his stare when he bellowed "Who gave you the right to take decisions on their life unilaterally ; you forgot I am the father; go pack your bags and stay with your new found loves and leave my children with me" 

After he had calmed down, Palak asked him to consider it as 2 hours of happiness for Daadi since he does not visit her which he could not counter and agreed reluctantly. She also pacified him by saying that with their hectic lives; this was a good break to be alone at home and spend some time with each other which did not cut much ice with him and he looked at her grumpily. He gave the nanny strict instructions to be around them all the time. He would time their visit by the clock and Palak would be at the receiving end for every minute of delay.

Vijay had modified Ritwik's room into a play area for his grand children and it was a customary ritual for him to add new toys every week so that they did not get bored. Their obsession with Daadu's (grand pa) pig tail grew over the months and they preferred playing with it and combing it more than the expensive toys and games the room was filled with. Both Vijay and Ritwik were competing with each other buying toys, dolls and games for them; one to satisfy what he could not do for his son due to paucity of money and the other to relive his own childhood through his daughters.

They found Mamta strict like their mamma and did not get as close to her though she tried her best to be warm and loving. Hiding in Taari's large dupatta or running around with Badi Daadi's (Ritwik's grandma) spectacles was their idea of fun. Once Piya managed to get hold of a pair of scissors from the kitchen in Noon Mansion and went to trim her daadu's pig tail while he was dozing on his chair. Reeva saw her action at the nick of time and saved part of her father's pride since the little one had managed to chop a few strands.

 Vijay was indulgent ; it was okay to surrender his ego to them hoping someday they will influence their Poppy to come and call out their "Papa ke Papa" as Rhea addressed him. He would assure them every week that if their Poppy or Mamma troubled them, he could come and sort it out; hoping Ricky would get the message.

The Untold Truth

Generally Palak visited the hospital in Chandigarh every month to ensure everything was working fine and either Ritwik or Vikrant would take stock every quarter. During one such quarterly meeting; an unconscious lady was brought to the hospital while Palak and Ritwik were visiting. Just 20, few months pregnant, Sheela was anaemic and depressed. Palak took personal interest since it was a case of sexual assault and attempt to murder; police, women & child welfare were involved. Beasts still existed in society who would not stop themselves from brutally attacking a pregnant woman.

Sheela was orphaned in childhood and grew up with her uncle who married her off at 18 to Lance Naik Sachin Sharma. He lost his life during one of the operations in the Line of Control and left behind a pregnant wife and a near blind old father and acres of land. His extended family eyed his wife as well as his land and Sheela ran away to save her life and that of her unborn child from the devious bunch of men. She had a blank look on her face and was reluctant to divulge further information for the fear of losing her old blind father-in-law who loved her like his child. She had lost the will to live, her tears had dried and was in deep shock. Palak counseled her after she gained consciousness promising to train her, to heal her so that she could work and take care of her baby and her husband's dreams. Ritwik wanted to talk to Palak and came knocking when he heard Palak speak while caressing Sheela's forehead.

"Sheela; I know what it is to be pregnant and not have your husband around; to live in fear that the child that you are caring may be harmed. Sachin ji got the information that you were carrying his child in far away land but could not be by your side; in my case he did not even know. I lived in fear of losing them like the way you are. His family was unwilling to accept; they were much richer but very poor in their mind; they wanted me to abort and live happily. I understand your torment; your torture; but trust me; I will be by your side, let your child be your will to live. Main Hoon Na, Mujhpe Bharosa Rakho"