Chapter 33: Growing in Love

They started walking with sunshine on their shoulders and Palak was busy watching the ducks and boats floating by when Ritwik reminded her that they were here talk to each other and not just admire mother nature leaving her with a broad smile. 

Palak : Accha Yeh Batao, Would you have looked for me if I was not expecting?

Ritwik: You are asking this question because you have not been able to understand and trust your importance in my life. I had gone crazy that time and Tim was a god send for me, my soul brother. News of your pregnancy was an unexpected bonus.

Palak: Did you even for a minute doubt that they were not yours ?

Ritwik: Are you mad, this is like questioning my integrity? Why do you even doubt that I doubted? Are we arguing or talking?

Palak: Ok Ok Ok. I am just asking. I trust you, I want to share with you but to be frank it's just that I have this urge to protect you.

Ritwik: Why? am I a little boy.  Now answer that question I asked 2 years ago; when did you realize that you loved me?

Palak: Ha Ha Ha; you need to hear your praise all the time

Ritwik: It's not my praise; I just want to know whether I delayed several days before making the proposition and lost out on precious time

Palak: Hmmm ; I guess I saw a different side of yours in Rajasthan; the one with a heart and became aware of your goodness, your caring and affectionate side and softened towards you. I realised you are a coconut; hard shell outside and soft inside.

Ritwik: Kuch aur bula lete ; coconut eh; Then we became friends and you taught me about 7 Stages of Love. When you were explaining and we were slow dancing; I was more focused on your words, your eyes. Love was just a 4 letter word for me till then; but the way you spoke with conviction; it sounded so honest that I started believing. Trusted you because you did not reveal what I muttered in my delirious state in Rajasthan and the way you shielded me from that woman in my room, oh boy, I knew you were the dependable friend. All I wanted was to sit and talk to you and my eyes were following you everywhere. Was it love or attraction? 

Palak: Attraction that we mutually felt for each other. After Reeva's marriage break up, you were so angry that you did not want to listen to me and my feelings for you were changing so I had to leave for Mumbai. Setu was sure I was in love but I wasn't ready to accept it. 

Ritwik: I was very angry not because Reeva's marriage broke but I was being forced to marry Ananya and you were the reason. My trust was broken, outwardly I hated you but my feelings for you had changed forever and Aman sensed that. 

Palak: Aman did; Ha Ha Ha. The day you came to my house in the middle of the night to talk about Rohit and Setu, I was hoping you would say something more since your eyes had a different story but you blabbered some mundane stuff and left. 

Ritwik: Hna Kya? I wanted to but you know I can't take rejection and had never approached a woman first so could not take that chance. You could have asked but you wanted me to make the first move, so much for being forthright.

Palak: If I would have asked;  You would have insulted me about my clothes, my appearance, my status and I would not have been able to take it. When we went looking for Setu, I tried probing your relationship with Ananya and you were haunting me in my dream. I knew I was in love which had no culmination in sight so was willing to sacrifice for you.

Ritwik: So both of us had feared rejection. But actions speak louder than words. Wanted to talk to you every waking moment but my head ruled my heart and I agreed for the marriage in obligation. When you were kidnapped and then fell in the lake; my breath was stuck in my throat and I jumped spontaneously. That was out of love" and he kissed her forehead