Chapter 11: Noon Twins Arrive

On his Way to Chandigarh

Ritwik boarded the first available auto outside the Noon Biotech office and asked him to go towards Nehru Place. He wanted to take a Zoom Car and zoom to Chandigarh; his babies were on their way a good 10 days in advance and he was thoroughly unprepared. He was being followed by another auto and the passenger( Ritwik's body guard)  informed Geeta that Ritwik looked rather hassled. By the time he reached the Zoom Care office; he knew he did not have the strength to drive and he would have to take a taxi or hitch a ride to Chandigarh. He was trying to figure out on the Ride Share app if there was anyone going that way but his phone gave up. Frustrated with his phone, Ritwik looked up hoping for a miracle when a car stopped near him calling for a Chandigarh-Mohali passenger. The driver was very happy to oblige hearing Ritwik's situation. 

Geeta was also informed by Manjeet that Palak showed signs of labor pain and she immediately knew why Ritwik was hassled. She sent one of her chaffeurs with the car in Ritwik's direction with strict instructions to say that he was going towards Chandigarh and would drop him since he was in urgency and to not reveal her name under any circumstances.  Her plan worked her son was being safely and comfortably transported to his destination

Ritwik kept thanking the driver and the unknown owner; promising to meet them after his children saw the light of day to thank in person. He dozed off for a while transported to la la land where he was arguing with Palak over the gender of the kids and the names; she heard him out and finally poured cold water on all his enthusiasm by saying that all she wanted was two healthy babies and everything else was secondary !! "Why are you so perfect Palak; that every time I end up feeling like a loser" Ritwik mumbled and opened his eyes. The driver offered him water to gather himself since they had almost reached the destination.

Noon House Banter

Vijay was livid that Ritwik had gone somewhere leaving some vague information with Aman. His phone was switched off and his room locked. He told Mamta and Rishabh that the divorce papers needed to be prepared the next day and the notice served. He wanted to get him hitched to Ananya Puri at the earliest. Rishabh smirked and nodded and Mamta wondered what was upto Ritwik that he did not confide in her any longer. Reeva was lost in thought browsing through a magazine and implored her dad to fix her up with Jus Khurana the new poster boy in town who was down from London entrusted with expanding his family business in India

Ritwik in the Labor Room

Ricky raced to the gynaecology section and signed off on the consent papers allowing the doctors to take the final call during any inevitable situation. After sanitizing his hands and donning the overcoat; disposable cap, . Palak was writhing in pain as the doctors looked over her and the nurse asked her to push hard. She was mumbling "Ritwik you moron; look what you did teaching me practicals about making babies" and screamed out his name aloud. He was shocked and pained seeing her that way; he had read that the pain was equal to 20 fractured bones and with twins it must be double which is pushing his otherwise perfect Palak to utter expletives. He held her hand; rubbing it slowly and muttering "Oh My Gorgeous Taekwondo Queen; I wish I could take this pain on myself" . Her eyes were closed shut under the blue eye cover but the touch seemed familiar to Palak but she was too much in pain to let her mind wander.

After an hour of struggle during which time Ritwik had his heart in his mouth; the first child arrived. The umbilical chord was deftly severed by the surgeon in waiting. It's a girl screamed the nurse and turned her upside down and smacked the bum to make her cry. Ritwik went ahhh "What are you doing?" but the nurse hushed him and proceeded to clean the baby. He wanted to hold the little one but one hand was with Palak who was pushing hard since the other baby was way too weak. The doctor immediately decided to forcep her out and Ritwik's heart skipped a beat. While the doctors knew best; he did not want his little darling's head between those frightful forceps. The doctor cajoled Palak; "Mrs Noon; one last push; real hard" ; and Ritwik whispered to his unborn child "Please push yourself out darling; Papa waiting for you and Mama in so much pain". In a jiffy the head slipped out and the doctor pulled her out since both mother and child were weak with all the jostling. One more girl screamed the nurse !! Palak heard girls; feebly feeling Ritwik next to her and passed out. Ritwik planted a kiss on her forehead and walked towards his girls now neatly wrapped in baby towels. 

Cries of Joy; Tears of Happiness

Ritwik came out holding both his girls in his arms; One a bundle of joy; healthy with a thick mop of hair and big eyes; the other small, tiny; a bit yellow but long eye lashes and extra long fingers. They looked so vulnerable that all he wanted to do was hold them tight and be there for them every day of his life. Palak's dad captured the magical moment with his newly acquired smart phone skills. The weaker child  had to be placed in an incubator with photo therapy lights since she was underweight and had traces of jaundice due to her blood group being Rh- which was different from her mother's. The other child was placed in a crib with other new born's;  a band around her wrist saying Baby Noon and a Registration No same as what was tied around Palak's wrist. 

Ritwik hugged Palak's parents ; they were the only ones who could share his happiness today. Palak was wheeled out to the observation room and Palak's mother followed the attendants. The two men sat there for a while; each one lost in thought while Geeta saw them from far. She had followed Ritwik in another car to be there with him and Palak during his moment of joy. 

After seeing Palak go through the pain of child birth, he was convinced no mother could ever leave a child behind unless under grave duress; then how could his own mother do that. Was there something beyond the usual money rant ? Sitting on a chair at a distance Geeta observed Ritwik from the corner of her eye. "Now that you have become a dad; you will hopefully understand why I did what I did someday" Geeta muttered.

Palak's dad wiped his face; finally the day that brought him joy and tears would now only be joy; his beloved daughter experienced what he did 20 years ago on the same day holding little Akshay in his arms. From somewhere up there, in another world Akshay blessed his loving Didi  and his parents  with double joy. Life and its strange ways; the twins came early and on this special day to fill up the vacuum created 10 long years ago. 

The Third Baby is birthed too

Ritwik was exhausted and walked towards the incubator to check on his little one ; he flipped out his phone to find 10 missed calls and a message "You Made it Buddy; I knew it would be You ; call me back soonish" He read it again and again; his knees had turned jelly and he was tongue tied. The third baby was birthed nearly the same time in a board room in far away America. He was rooted to the spot but gathered himself to make the call !! All in a day's time; Ritwik Noon was getting his swag back !!