Chapter 30: Marriage is Beyond Money

Reeva's Marriage Cancelled:

Vijay was stunned and held his head in his hand. Mamta walked up slowly and touched his shoulders and heard Vijay mumbling Ricky and Rishu have destroyed Reeva's life. He sat in his room thinking how to communicate to Reeva and what to do next when Aman popped in to ask if they were fine. He saw them distraught and tried consoling saying Ricky will come around, just give him some time. Mamta told him that they have another problem on hand since the Khuranas are re-thinking of Reeva's marriage with Jus, looking expectantly at Aman, hoping he would convince Ricky to speak to Jus Khurana and sort it out.

Aman reached office and found Ritwik in deep discussion with auditors so at the first possible opportunity; he informed him that Jus Khurana's family was wanting to break off Reeva's wedding leaving Ritwik stumped. He realised it was the after math of everything that occurred so he had to assure them that all this changeover was like a paper transaction; Reeva was, is a Noon girl and there will not be any compromise in the lavish wedding that was planned. Ritwik sought a meeting with Jus for that evening and Vijay sought one with the Khurana family. Reeva was as busy as ever with her beauty treatment and was trying to cheer up her dad talking about the impending wedding and Vijay did not have the heart to disclose anything to her.

After his series of meetings and drafting his request to KKR about the future of PR Healthcare given he had taken over Noon Biotech he went over to meet Jus in the coffee shop of a prominent 5 star hotel. Aman came along and sat a table away. He loved Reeva knowing fully well she was unavailable but seeing her go through heart breaks also got him restless. Ritwik and Jus spoke at length after initial pleasantries and it became amply clear that the Khuranas were more interested in Jus getting a sizeable chunk of Noon Biotech and a board position. They had hope with Ritwik out of the company; but now with him back at the helm and the changing equations it was all so bleak.

Ritwik and Jus

"Jus, you just wanted money; did you not love her?" Ritwik asked in a pained voice to which Jus replied non chalantly "Ritwik when did marriages between business families happen only for love and without any benefits? You were hitched to Ananya Puri for the same reason and then married one of your employees for love eh". Ritwik could feel his blood boiling over but controlled himself and calmly asked "Are you in love with someone else ie why you want to leave Reeva" !! Jus grinned and snapped back "Was your sister marrying me for love? Ha ha No It was money, looks, sex, holidays, society parties, jewelry etc etc etc ; its hard to hold a conversation beyond 5 minutes with her because it is always about who has what more or less than her"

Ritwik controlled his urge to thrash him; since the word "sex" had hit him hard. He took a deep breath and like a master negotiator asked Jus to come clear with what he wanted and Ritwik Noon would do his best. "Aah there you are ; I want 20% of Noon Biotech and Board Position ; you can do this much for your sister" "Jus ; I dont own anything, I am just the guardian for the gift given to my daughters and wife by my mother".

"Oh really, you want me to believe that, when it came to parting with your own wealth your daughters are your priority over a step sister !! So do one thing; tell your gold digger sister not to dream of a great guy from a business family instead find someone middle class like you did ; who will follow her around for the pennies you will throw at them." Ritwik wanted to throw that hot cup of coffee on his face; but tried to keep a straight face and told Jus; "Yes , I will save her from a gold digger like you, find a guy who will love my sister more than himself, who will treat her like his princess; and as long as Ritwik Noon is alive; money will be her last worry" ...

He picked up his phone and walked away after paying the bill. Aman heard bits and parts of the conversation and was moved but Ritwik had recorded it all on his phone. Jus shot off a response to Reeva's several messages since morning that he was rethinking about them and had just met her step brother Ritwik who was very adamant in conceding to the small things Jus wanted.