8.

CHAPTER 8

"You're ready."

"For what?"

"You're ready to know the truth about your alpha skills," he answers.

With those words, he peeks my interest, making me turn around. "Continue." We've both been quiet for a while, waiting for anyone else to arrive, so basically any reason to continue a conversation is intriguing

"You're special," he starts.

I roll my eyes in response, having heard it before although never knowing what they meant before. "Haven't heard that one before."

"As I was saying," he continues. "It's not normal for beta's to turn to alpha unless they kill the alpha and harness their power for their own, but I have come to know that some are different. You're one of them Dawn. I've witnessed it myself. You've been given the temporary opportunity to be an alpha when you drink their blood."

With eyebrow raised, I ask, "What?! You're kidding me right. We're werewolves but I have to drink blood like a vampire?"

"I guess you could say that, but it's in your blood. You were born to be bitten and inherit the rare ability of being an alpha in a much simpler way. Trust me, it's a messy business killing an alpha compared to drinking them."

"I don't get it. Born to be bitten? I don't even know who my real birth parents are. How come I'm so different? Ugh!" I rant. I'm getting tired of being confused all the time. What's wrong with being normal? Even amongst the different, I'm still out of the norm. I can feel my heart pound against my chest in anger, afraid I'll wolf out.

"Control yourself," he says calmly and I try my best, but it works too well.

When I do, I ask, "How did I become an alpha last time? I don't remember consuming any, any blood before I turned." Admitting this suddenly turns into an epiphany, especially at the pause he takes before he speaks.

"I laced my blood into your glass of wine, of course," he answers. I'm not talking for a while and he takes the opportunity to continue on. "You must be really confused, but it doesn't matter right now. You'll get your missing puzzel pieces eventually but right now you need to strengthen up."

"With another glass of wine?" I ask, kind of in a joking manner.

He brings his cane higher, not responding. He opens the end of it, revealing a sharp point. I see a drop of blood seep down his wrist right when he digs deep into his flesh. "Drink," is his only command.

Automatically, I'm hesitant but I'm not allowed to be for too long. When I take more than five seconds to obey him he talks again, "Drink before I heal." Grabbing onto the back on my neck with his clean arm, he pulls me closer until my lips touch the warm liquid.

Instantly my lips part and I find myself drinking as if on instinct. As the surprisingly tasty warm liquid is running down my throat, I can't help but think of how strange I am being the only werewolf that drinks blood, as if I was a vampire instead. But honestly, I couldn't forget that wine when I first tasted it the other day. It was the best wine I've ever had, and maybe even the best drink I've ever consumed. He doesn't need to force me to drink anyone, I'm willing, even while I'm aware I'm transforming more and more with every drop of blood enters my system.

As I feel more skin against my mouth than open wound, I figure he's healing. I pull away, angry, but I'm already a werewolf now so nothing changes. "You're our secret weapon, Dawn, although you'll be revealed quite soon. They'll never expect you. You've fit into this pack surprisingly well." He's the alpha of alphas, slightly confusing me with his compliments.