2. He's Kind Of Pretty

I don't know whether I like this new school or not. I'm not sure I hate it either. The teachers seem fair enough; my favorite has to be Mr. Venderan. He's my math teacher. The students aren't as bad as I they could be. They don't think I'm pregnant. I guess it could all be summed up in two words: blur.

"I like your hair," I could hear a guy murmur as he passed me in the hall.

I didn't even look up. I just kept walking. All I had to do was make it to the cafeteria. Then I could buy my food and find the nearest girls restroom to eat in. I like bathroom stalls…a lot.

"Did you hear that John hooked up with Sara?" I heard a girl from a huge clique scream as I entered the large room.

"Sara from lab?!" another bellowed.

"No, Sara from math."

This made all the girls yelp for no apparent reason. I just subtlety rolled my eyes as I focused my eyes on the cafeteria line. I could see meatloaf and salad in the distance. I was deciding whether or not I wanted to risk lettuce getting stuck in my teeth when I heard my name being called. My heart almost seemed to stop.

"Hey Mary, Mary!" the voice called again, "Over here!"

Oh how I wished there was some other Mary that would stand up and go to her callers. But there wasn't. And when I looked up and saw Leon, my school guide, I knew it was for me.

"Hey guys, this little gal is Mary. She comes from Lansing, Michigan but…that's not where she last was."

I think my cheeks were currently the color of a ripe tomato. I was trying to back away and act like I hadn't seen Leon at all but he was already walking towards me. Soon, his huge smile was right in front of my face, not giving me any space to look but at him.

"How was your first class…or second period?" he asked rather loudly.

"Fine," I replied simply.

Leon smiled. "And the students?" he continued.

"Good," I said with a small smile.

Leon nodded as he scratched the back of his head. It was at this time I noticed he had tiny freckles right under his eyes. They were a dark brown and were very small. I liked them.

"So," he said as I continued to stare at the minor blemishes on his face, "Would you like to sit with me…and my friends?"

"Um…no," I said slowly, looking beyond his shoulder at the few teenagers I presumed were his buddies, "I'm just going to ugh…just eat alone. Look over my homework…you know?"

Leon glanced back at his friends and a few of them giggled. I raised an eyebrow to this but I decided not to inquire of him. He then decided to lean in close to my ear and speak softly just so I could hear.

"You can't eat in the bathroom your first day…do that tomorrow."

Leon then chuckled, pinched my elbow, and then motioned towards his table. I tried to make the sensation where his hand had touched my arm go away. Yet as I moved closer to Leon's table, the feeling only became stronger.

"Sit down, new girl," a strawberry blonde girl with bubbly eyes said.

So I did. I sat next to Leon, thankfully, and four others surrounded us. I learned that the blonde girl was Melody, an art freak who likes cats in sweaters. There was another girl named Vida who looked like a book worm but also looked very warm. Maybe it was her round glasses.