4. The Inevitable In The Irresolute

"Okay...who stole my lunch?"

All four heads slowly turned to me. A ham sandwich was suspiciously hanging out of Harry's mouth. Vida was delicately placing her pop bottle on the lunch table. Melody and Ryan had stopped kissing long enough to notice my outburst.

I stared back at all of them revealing my empty lunch bag.

"Who took it?" I inquired harshly, rightfully glaring in Harry's direction.

"Why are you looking at me?" Harry questioned, stuffing the rest of the bread in his mouth.

"Oh, I don't know...maybe because everything edible is in your stomach!"

"That is a lie!" he retorted.

"No, it's not."

"Actually Mary, it kind of is. I mean, if everything edible was in Harry's stomach then we'd all be dead, including Harry."

I glanced over at Vida angrily. "I'm not in for political correctness this afternoon, Vida."

Vida shrugged, taking a gulp of her soda. Melody and Ryan returned to their couple behavior. And I, well I hugged my stomach as it began to grumble loudly.

I'm so hungry...

Glimpsing up from my empty place on the table, I saw Leon nearing our table. He was laughing with one of his teammates from the soccer team. The team was actually pretty good. Ryan and Leon would probably go all the way to the state championship if they held on.

"Hey idiots," he murmured, walking over and sitting next to me.

He hadn't sat next to me in like...I couldn't even recall. It was just a long time.

Vida glanced up from her book. She raised a curious eyebrow. She also looked quite surprised to see Leon by my side. After scanning over the cafeteria, she focused her eyes on Leon.

"Where's Loran?" she asked him.

"She had on orthodontist appointment. She'll be back at fifth period."

I couldn't help smiling inside. Yes, and I mean YES! I just couldn't handle Loran at lunch. In the class we shared, astronomy, Loran and I were okay. We helped each other with a few of the homework problems and acknowledged one other's presence. But during lunch, we just didn't click.

At last, I didn't have to worry about saying something stupid, or inappropriate, or just downright—

"Hey, Sunday morning, after Melody's party on Saturday, come to Harry's house."

I looked up at Leon. "Why?" I asked, surprised by his abrupt statement.

"It's a surprise," he said, nudging me. He was touching me...again.

"I'm sick of surprises."

I think Leon could tell I was referring to yesterday when I had suddenly left his new apartment due to her. He gazed at me awhile, a forlorn look overcoming his face.

"It'll be good," he said, "I promise."

And I believed him. Again.

"You are coming to Melody's party, right?" Leon asked.

I shrugged. "Maybe. I have to bring a date and that's definitely not looking promising."

"You don't have to bring a date."

I smirked. "Tell that to Melody."

Leon rolled his eyes as he began to pull out his lunch.

My stomach started to growl again.