28. To See You Smile

We spend most of our days sitting; sometimes on the couch in the living room, sometimes in the chair in the office. But mostly, we sit in his room, staring out the window. The streets are usually scarce, only the rustling of leaves making sounds. But it is never boring. No, it is always meaningful. I know I am supposed to be here…with Leon.

We both have been excused from school, Leon and I. The board of directors has allowed me to help the family during preparations for the funeral .I'll return to school after the funeral takes place. Leon will return two weeks after the funeral. Several of his teachers told him to not even worry about final grades. They said I could keep up with the class by doing all of my homework at home. In other words, at the Mokena's house.

My parents arrived to help the Mokena family with planning the funeral once I had told them of Hannah's death. The two pairs of adults had met and spoken on occasion but never in the way they did now. Now, they were in a pact. Mr. and Mrs. Mokena didn't talk very much. They didn't have to. My mother made most of the calls to their relatives while John helped packed away Hannah's things.

It was a very quiet time.

I had never felt so…cold.

Everyday was cold.

And even though I tried to find warmth, the Mokena house had lost a part of itself. Now, a huge chunk had been lost, allowing all the icy air to flow through its veins. And even though I tried to help repair the broken abode, it couldn't be fixed.

"So Aunt Miranda on Eli's side of the family…she said she'll bring seven pies. Do you have room for that in your refrigerator?" my mom asked Mrs. Mokena.

I could hear Yuri shuffling back and forth in the kitchen. They were both in there, taking phone calls, making plans for the funeral. I was in the living room…sitting on the sofa beside Leon.

"Um…well…" Yuri began, "Let's just hope we have enough room in the trash. Her pies taste like crap."

There was a silence before my mother began to giggle under her breath. Seconds later, Mrs. Mokena joined in. Soon, the two women were discussing all of their relatives and their nasty cuisines. I smiled to myself. I hadn't heard laughter in days. It was such a joy to my ears. It was almost like a present that I could play with over and over.

I turned my grin to Leon. Our arms were linked. He was staring out the homes biggest window. He didn't even crack his frown. He didn't flinch either. He sat…like he had been doing for the past two weeks.

"Leon," Mrs. Mokena called as she entered the living room, "You haven't eaten in two days. I think…I think you need to eat some food. I made some beef tacos."

Leon shook his head. "I'm not hungry."

"Leon…" she whispered.

"I'm not hungry, Mom," he replied in the same dry, hoarse voice

Yuri's head fell as her son began to recluse himself even farther. I glanced back and forth from Yuri to Leon.

I tapped his shoulder lightly. He glimpsed back at me.

"Leon…you should eat something," I whispered, "Just have a yogurt or something…okay?"