5. The Party A.K.A. Y Perish

"Do I look fat? Be brutal."

"As in—?"

"As in love handles, flabby thighs, chubby fingers fat."

"...Yeah, you look fat."

"Oliver! I could kill you!"

Oliver sneered, dodging the black high-heel I aimed at his big, massive head.

"You asked me for my opinion!" he laughed, racing for my bedroom door.

"Shut up!" I screamed, shutting the door behind my brother's annoying butt.

I sighed, returning to my mirror.

I looked horrible.

I took my mother's advice and wore the short black skirt with the blue cami. But somehow my figure had made the wonderful outfit just look frumpy. I tried rearranging the straps and added excessive amounts of jewelry but nothing would do. At least my hair looked okay. The blue trinket that pinned back my bangs worked. And my make-up wasn't entirely ugly.

I couldn't believe I was going to a high school party. Wait—why was I going? Oh right. Melody. This was her party. I had an obligation.

"Just get in and get out..." I whispered to myself, pulling my skirt down. It was way too short.

My heart instantly began to pound harder when I heard the doorbell ring. Harry was here to pick me up.

It was time.

"I'm leaving, mom!" I called, pacing out of my room and down the stairs.

"My beautiful!" Harry cried when I opened the front door.

I rolled my eyes, noticing his two dates in his car.

"Bye!" I lastly called into the house before journeying off into the unknown.

The music was so loud.

Now, I'm not one of those little wusses who starts to whine and moan when the speakers are at a mild tempo. Actually, music can be blaring quit loudly and I won't complain. But the volume of this music...it was strictly deafening. It was unholy. I wanted to kill the speakers. I wanted to kill the DJ. And I without a doubt wanted to kill every single person who, in their attempt to dance, stepped on my feet.

"Are...fun?" a nerdy girl asked. She was sitting next to me on the couch centered right in front of the dance floor. All of Ryan's furniture had been moved to his basement in order to make room for the large dancing arena.

I cringed. "I'm sorry! I can't hear you!"

"I said are you having fun!" the girl replied in a scream.

I shook my head instantly. "No!"

"Yeah, me neither! This is the worst party ever!"

Just seconds later, a random guy asked the same girl to dance. Of course she said yes. The next moment, she was shaking her butt on the dance floor, screaming "This is the best party ever!"

I sighed. I hate Melody.

I had been at her party for an hour. I hadn't moved from this couch.

Harry, his dates, and I had been the second group to arrive to the party. Melody had begged the group to come early in order to help set up Ryan's house. Ryan, although a strong opponent against parties, actually looked excited to be having a bash at his place. It was certainly big enough.

Vida was right. Ryan's house was huge. Although it seemed like a normal suburban home on the outside, it was a wide and spacious interior. With wide vaulted ceilings, a hot tub in the living room, and a personal movie theater, I was half expecting Ryan to have a personal sauna. He did. When I asked where the dough was coming from to pay for the home, he simply shrugged and replied, "My dad does stocks. I suppose he's good at it." I suppose his dad didn't mind his son throwing a party either.