16. Wonderful Wonders

It seemed like hours upon hours of us just standing there. My hands were trapped against his chest, shaking uncontrollably. His face was buried in my neck. I could feel his every breath. It made my heart rise and then sink in the strangest of ways. His hands were still enclosing me, making me desire his being all the more. My feet were clumsily falling over his boots. It almost felt like I was completely off the ground as he carried me into a world I had never known.

And as all this took place, I just looked up at the ceiling. The confusing silence had me terrified to no end.

Finally, it was broken.

"Oh…bravo!" Ms. Mandingo hollered as she rose to her tiny feet. Clapping her hands loudly together, she began to bounce up and down like an overexcited toddler.

And to my dumbfounded surprise, the class did the same. Every hand in the room was applauding the performance, some even jumping out of their desks. I stared on in complete awe. But my shock was soon interrupted as I felt myself suddenly being pulled from Bastion. He was now just standing beside me. I had the certain urge to return to his embrace. I decided against the desperate want.

"That was…marvelous," Ms. Mandingo cried, walking slowly to the front of the class, "In all my days of teaching…I've never beheld such a moving performance."

I nodded, giving a half-hearted smile to Ms. Mandingo. However, I found myself glancing Bastion's way. He was just gazing at the ground, his face covered in a mysterious darkness. My lips quivering, I hastily turned from him and to the other side of the room. I couldn't stand any of it. Tugging at the top of my gown collar, I began to find it hard to breathe. Seeing the looks of admiration on the phony student's faces made me want to throw up. Ms. Mandingo's unceasing praise made me want to scream. And there he was. He needed no explanation. His existence was enough.

"Um...well…I guess you all are free to go," Ms Mandingo finally said through emotional tears, "You'll get your grades for the assignment on…"

Before the words could even finish coming from Ms. Mandingo's mouth, I picked up the lengthy dress and hurried from the room. I could hear a few gasps behind me but I took no heed. I couldn't stand it any longer! I had to get out—out of this dress, out of this school, out of his clutches.

Running as fast I could down the hallway, I could feel dampness forming in the corners of my eyes. There were so many reasons to cry after such a happening. There were so many people, so many things to blame for the wetness in my eyes. And yet, right then, I couldn't think of one. I was so bewildered…so done, I couldn't even think of why I was.

So I just kept running, hoping that with the farther I ran, the closer I would come to an answer. Turning into what I thought to be the seventh corner, I pressed my back up against the chilled wall and collapsed to the floor. The dress spread open like a blooming lily in the early of spring morn. I only sighed, wrapping my misery in the deep silk. And so the tears came, hard and true. In the dark hallway, I found myself able to give up. Telling myself through my sobs that I had tried, I knew now…I no longer need try. Now, I could be alone. Now, I could rest my broken soul.

"Miss Mary…" I heard a whisper, my faced covered in my palms.

Gasping loudly, my hands fell to my side as I looked up to see Bastion's face.

"Oh God…" I murmured, my cheeks probably as red as tomato right about now. I quickly looked away, wiping my face.

I suddenly stopped when he, without warning, knelt down to my face. It felt like the skit all over. I flinched as he gradually came to sit beside me.