17. A New Home For Us All

*RECAP* (I did my best to include the most important events)

So a year has passed for Mary and the group and pretty much everyone in her little town of Kingston. Mary has matured some but is still insecure in many ways. She is no where near as shy as she was a year ago but she still has a cutting problem. Also, she definitely has feelings for Leon but he has a girlfriend, Loran. But although she has feelings for Leon, Mary still loves Bastion, the boy who disappeared a year ago. After a few strange encounters, Mary meets up with Bastion again. However, he asks to be called Vincent. As Vincent, he is very cruel and cold-hearted, to Mary's disappointment. After spending more time with him though, Vincent opens up to Mary and soon begins to act more like Bastion. Although when Mary tries to ask Bastion why he has returned to Kingston, he remains silent.

At the same time, Mary's feelings for Leon become increasingly complicated as he acts as if he likes her although he continues to date Loran. Mary's confusion peaks when Leon asks her to prom and then kisses her on the cheek. However, afterwards, the two distance themselves. Feeling especially down one day, Mary visits the Welles Mansion. There she finds Bastion beaten up and bloodied on the floor. After Mary tends to his wounds, Bastion reveals that he needs the pictures that his sister Nadia gave to her a year ago. Mary discovers they are evidence to an event. When Mary gives Bastion the pictures, she realizes that the Welles no longer need to stay in Kingston and Bastion is leaving. She begs for him to stay but he says he must go. In the spur of the moment, Mary tells Bastion she loves him and he recuperates her feelings. However, he still leaves. A few days pass and Mary is quite glum so Leon comes to check up on her. The two talk awhile and eventually Mary finally tells Leon of her feelings for him. However, Leon feels that once again he is Mary's second choice and she only wants him because Bastion is departing. Feeling completely rejected, Mary goes to the Welles Mansion. There she surprisingly meets up with Nadia. The girl tells Mary that when Bastion was eight, he drowned a girl in a kiddy pool. This is the reason the Welles family is so secretive and why they keep running. Mary is shocked by this. She then goes home and spends several days being depressed.

As others worry about being accepted into colleges, Mary is consumed by her new knowledge of Bastion. However, she is mad about the fact that Leon has decided to go to Ohio State with Loran instead of Berkeley with her. And Mary does have a Berkeley interview coming up on Saturday that she is fretting about. Meanwhile, when Bastion learns from his sisters that Mary knows about his past and that his dad intends to silence her, he goes to Mary's house. When Bastion shows up on her front porch, he then tells Mary that he indeed did kill the girl in the pool but will not tell her why. He goes onto explain that his father is currently coming to kidnap Mary because she knows far too much about the Welles. He also says that his father won't take him back either now that he has come to warn Mary. Bastion advises that they stay somewhere his father won't know to find them. They end up going to Leon's apartment. There, Bastion tells Leon about how he drowned the girl and that now they need protection. Leon reluctantly agrees to help them and the two spend the night. AND THERE YOU GO! Now, onto the new chapter!

Chapter seventeen

A New Home for Us All

"You're pretty when you sleep..."

When I heard the statement, my eyes instantly opened.

It felt like I had been sleeping for an eternity.

Rolling over on the lumpy mattress, I saw in the corner of my eye the auburn haired boy.

His hair dye was fading and his hair was returning to its luscious brunette color again.

How I had missed it.

"Leon's up..." Bastion said in a rather annoyed tone, his arms cross as he sauntered into the guest bedroom.